[Vision2020] A few responses to Phil Nesbit

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Mon Aug 22 15:09:09 PDT 2005

Greetings:

As usual I learned much from what Phil Nesbit wrote in response to my piece
on American Anti-Intellectualism.  Here are a few responses:

Phil: People study science and engineering not only for fire in the belly,
they do so because they want to eat. Students gravitate to institutions of
higher learning because after they are done with grabbing a degree, they
want to find a nice job at which to exercise their skills. I never met,
say, a geological oceanographer who was planning on going for a master's
degree just for the shear joy of knowledge. I have never seen a person go
through the struggles of P Chem just for the unmitigated hell of it, they
did so to grab a chemical industry job.

Nick: I obviously hang around people very different from Phil.  I know a
lot of folks who have done an MA or even a PhD just for the sheer (not
Phil's "shear") joy of edification and personal gratification.  Some of our
brightest students attend liberal arts colleges where the curriculum is
designed not for a profession, but for responsible life in a liberal
democratic society.

UI students sleep and/or frown through a liberal arts core course because
our culture has not prepared for any sort of intellectual life at
all.  Phil, we have designed the core curriculum precisely for those
geological oceanography students who believe that education is only a means
to making big bucks.  I was an oceanography major at Oregon State and they
dragged me kicking and screaming into my first English Comp. class.  After
three terms I learned how to write and think great thoughts, and I switched
to philosophy and religion and never looked back, even when my father said
I would not make any money.

Phil: So, why do the Asian nations have a larger number of scientists and
engineers graduating? It's because that is where the jobs in science and
engineering are. And why are they hiring more scientists and engineers?

Nick: Recently Bill Gates bemoaned the fact that not enough American
students are studying computer science.  Contrary to Phil's claim,
engineers are in great demand, too.  School districts are bringing in
Indian teachers to teach math and science because our students are too lazy
to major in these disciplines.

Phil: But Nick asks us to believe that companies are fleeing to Canada
because the quality of our people is lower than the Canadians. All I can
say is hogwash.

Nick: I did make any general claims on this issue.  I simply quoted Toyota
officials that the main reason they chose to put the plant Canada was the
education level of Southern American workers.

Phil:  The United States has the world's highest total expenditure on
education, outspending its closest rival by hundreds of billions of
dollars. Second, only Norway spends more per pupil than we do.

Nick:  We also spend the most per capita on medical expenses and we rank at
the bottom of the industrialized world on all health statistics, including
the greatest percentage dissatisfied with their health care.

I also discount Phil's figures for length of time spent in school. My
former wife is Danish and she had ten years of school (no 3-yr. Gymansium),
but in that time she mastered German and English and was a lively
conversation partner in areas such as music, contemporary literature, and
philosophy.  She came from a watchmaker's family.

Yes, our students spend a lot of time in school in classes that are
repetitive and not very challenging.  Most of our brightest students are
bored silly. And encouraging students to go to college when they are not
prepared for it is a gigantic waste of time and money.

Phil is correct that we should spend more time discussion this fundamental
problem.

Nick Gier