[Vision2020] Response to NSA's librarian

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sun Aug 21 13:02:35 PDT 2005

Greetings:
At least four writers have responded to the column in the Daily News
(8/13-14) on religious liberty and tolerance.  I sent Iverson a draft of
the letter below, but he has declined to respond to take up my request for
dialogue.  You see, Phil Nesbit, I'm keep trying to engage these people.

Suggested Title: "Crossing the Line between Liberty and Intolerance"
To the editor:
At its annual convention in 1999 the Southern Baptist Convention passed a
resolution proposing that all their churches pray that Hindus "realize the
darkness of their souls."
Prominent Indian Christian leaders were outraged at this insult to their
compatriots with whom they have been living in peace for 2,000 years.  As
one of them said: "One cannot preach by annoying others."  For more on this
topic go to www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/darksouls.htm.
Would Ed Iverson (Their View, 8/13&14) see this as a proper expression of
religious liberty?  His pastor Douglas Wilson regularly condemns Christians
as well as non-Christians from his pulpit and blog, so I would assume that
Iverson's answer is "Yes."
Contrary to Iverson's implication, most Christians do not believe that all
religions are the same.  They would also reject Iverson's insinuation that
they do not take their obligation to proclaim the Gospel of Christ
seriously.  They would contend that gentle persuasion, rather than
insulting rhetoric, is the Christian way to accomplish this.
Most of us learned in high school civics that liberty without
responsibility is license. The core of responsible citizenship is mutual
respect and tolerance for those with differing views.  Peter Kuzmic
(Letters, 8/18) is correct: Iverson's religious liberty (=license) leads to
intolerance and conflict.
Iverson claims that we quote his colleagues out of context, but what is the
context of Wilson's proposal that homosexuals should be executed or
banished other than a "mean spirited" attitude?  What are the descendants
of slaves to think about Wilson's claim that the antebellum South was a
harmonious multiracial society?
I'm currently writing a book entitled "The Origins of Religious
Violence."  My thesis is that religions that are inclusive and tolerant
have generated far less religiously motivated violence than those that are
exclusive and intolerant.  I've discovered that people who have claimed one
religion as their national identity have been the most violent and destructive.
By the way, Mr. Iverson, last time I checked it was still legal to
evangelize in the U.S., and that is because of the religious liberty and
you and I support.
Nick Gier, Moscow

"The god you worship is the god you deserve."
~~ Joseph Campbell