[Vision2020] Public Prayer on Public Money

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri Aug 19 08:41:57 PDT 2005

Chasuk, et al,

Thank you for posting this.  I had planned to, but later.

The legal side of the question has been much debated.  The Christian side less so.

It always amazes that Christian religious fanatics, flimflamers, and others who believe in bible inerrancy or just that the bible is allegedly the word of some alleged god, ignore completely the passage you cited (and others).  Many Christians of my acquaintance and friendship believe and take very seriously the admonition of their Jesus against public prayer and hence are opposed to public prayer.

Here is the same passage from Young's Literal Translation of the Bible in context:

Matthew 6

1'Take heed your kindness not to do before men, to be seen by them, and if not-reward ye have not from your Father who is in the heavens; 2whenever, therefore, thou mayest do kindness, thou mayest not sound a trumpet before thee as the hypocrites do, in the synagogues, and in the streets, that they may have glory from men; verily I say to you-they have their reward!

3'But thou, doing kindness, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doth, 4that thy kindness may be in secret, and thy Father who is seeing in secret Himself shall reward thee manifestly.

5'And when thou mayest pray, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites, because they love in the synagogues, and in the corners of the broad places-standing-to pray, that they may be seen of men; verily I say to you, that they have their reward.

6'But thou, when thou mayest pray, go into thy chamber, and having shut thy door, pray to thy Father who is in secret, and thy Father who is seeing in secret, shall reward thee manifestly.

7'And-praying-ye may not use vain repetitions like the nations, for they think that in their much speaking they shall be heard, 8be ye not therefore like to them, for your Father doth know those things that ye have need of before your asking him;

Seems pretty clear to me.  I personally heed the advice a former Christian minister once gave me:

"When someone starts taking in public about the "Kingdom of God", quickly use one hand to protect your purse or wallet, the other to protect your (and your children's) genitals."

In light of many recent news articles about the practices (or malpractices) of certain Christian denominations and also observations of the behavior of certain so-called religious groups locally, such advice should be widely applicable.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com