[Vision2020] bicycling in Moscow and beyond

roger hayes rhayes at turbonet.com
Fri Aug 19 07:47:27 PDT 2005

All:

I suppose this is sort of a response to both Kai's comments on why
bicyclists might ride on a sidewalk and to the current thread about oil
supplies. (Yes, there may be a connection!)
First of all, riding a bike instead of driving is a good thing, not
only for the individual gain of good exercise, but for the society as a
whole.  Each person on a bike is one less car congesting traffic,
demanding more roads, polluting the air, consuming precious
petrochemicals, and generally deteriorating the ambiance of our town.
Of course, due to personal physical limitations, not everyone has the
ability to ride a bike in pursuit of their daily lives.  That's the way
it is. There are busses here in Moscow now.
Riding a bike can be a very hazardous activity. It's obvious that motor
vehicles, and road conditions really do present a serious threat. Sean
Michael hits the nail on the head about why people might ride on the
sidewalk. Even riding in the bike lane can be dangerous. Motor vehicles
often take that space too.  Traffic travels well above the speed limit.
Vehicles pass, then cut in front of bicyclists to turn right. All the
pressures can cause a bicyclist to give up using the provided bike lane
and get pushed onto the sidewalk.
Now, even though in Moscow it is legal for bicyclists to use the
sidewalks, I don't like to ride there.  That space is for pedestrians.
I believe a bicycle is a vehicle.  It belongs on the street. In order
to get bicyclist off the sidewalk, vehicles will have to allow
bicyclist to ride on the streets.  The municipality will have to
encourage drivers to travel at the speed limits, adequate space for
bike lanes should be provided, and a mentality of respect between the
different modes of transportation should be fostered.
Back to the oil supply question...
The future belongs to those who reckon with it.  I think riding a bike,
walking, and being conscious of the problems facing us is doing so.

Sincerely,
Roger Hayes
'04 LeMond
Not too many scratches yet