[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (August 19, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Aug 19 05:33:37 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted below is today's (August 19, 2005) UI Friday Letter from
UI President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Aug. 19, 2005

Dear Friends,

This week, I met with representatives from both the Coeur d'Alene and Nez
Perce tribes to discuss issues and possible collaborations between the
University and the tribes. We were able to further outline the role of the
President's Native American Advisory Council to strengthen partnerships,
identify functions and services the University can provide to Native
American communities, and address efforts to recruit and retain Native
American students.

I also want to acknowledge the strong commitment University of Idaho
students have to volunteerism. More than 400 students are registered with
the university's Civic Engagement Project, which connects students with
local agencies that depend on volunteers to provide services to those in
need. Through these partnerships, students are empowered to make a
difference through service and activism. In addition, 15 University of Idaho
students participated in the Students in Service AmeriCorps program last
year. This group contributed more than 6,150 volunteer hours of service that
significantly strengthened our community. For their efforts, the students
will benefit collectively from $18,474 of scholarship funds that can be used
to cover student loans, tuition, fees or other expenses.

These are only two examples of the dedication our students have to help
others.  There are many more, and they range from individual efforts to
living group philanthropic projects to campus-wide actions. These efforts
provide wonderful examples for us to follow.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

L. Michael Bogert, a 1985 University of Idaho College of Law alumnus, was
sworn in earlier this week as Region 10 Administrator for the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency, representing Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and
Washington. The first administrator for the EPA from Idaho in more than 20
years, Bogert served as counsel to Idaho Gov. Dirk Kempthorne from 1999 to
2004, and most recently was a practicing attorney with Perkins Coie, LLP in
Boise. Bogert's areas of focus include environmental law, natural resources,
the Endangered Species Act, water law, government relations and public
policy. He is an active member of UI's College of Law Advisory Council, was
a speaker for UI's Idaho Top Scholar program and previously served on the
board of directors for UI's Alumni Association.

Friends, former staff members and alumni of Idaho's first public television
station will celebrate 40 years of public broadcasting Sept. 23-24 in
Moscow. When KUID-TV went on the air in the fall of 1965, it was programmed
and operated by UI faculty members and students. It joined public TV
stations in Boise and Pocatello to form Idaho Public Television in 1982.
Gordon Law, the first KUID station manager, and Peter Haggart, the second
manager, both plan to attend the reunion. A schedule of events and
registration information are available from the UI Alumni Association at
(208) 885-6154 or on the JAMM Web site at
www.class.uidaho.edu/jamm/kuid_guest_book.htm.

Dave '90 and Lisa Overman '89 Churchman of Boise are a young couple who have
started to make their estate plans and have included the University of Idaho
as a beneficiary. "Even though we're still in the prime of our lives, we
felt it was a good time to begin to plan and think about what kind of legacy
we'd like to leave behind," said Dave and Lisa. Their desire is to give
future generations of students the opportunity to have the experiences they
cherish at the University. If you have remembered the University of Idaho in
your estate plan, please contact Gift Planning Services at (208) 885-7069 or
hlinehan at uidaho.edu.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy