[Vision2020] Public prayer on public money

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 22:52:57 PDT 2005

First, a preface: I am not a Christian.  I might truthfully be
considered a recovering ex-Christian.  When I was a Christian, I
prayed frequently, and I found it beneficial.  However, I always
minded Jesus's own words regarding prayer:

"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love
to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that
they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their
reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and
pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in
secret will reward you." (Matthew 6:5-6 RSV)

I haven't had time to read every message in this thread, so I
apologize if this quote is yet another reiteration.  Still, I would
hope that the founder of Christianity's word are relevant -- and we
are talking about Christian prayer, realistically -- so what else
needs to be said?