[Vision2020] Public prayer on public money

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Aug 18 16:30:22 PDT 2005

Arnol -
Prayer, in and of itself, may not be a religion.  But, let's see what the
Miriam-Webster dictionary has to say.

I invite your attention to definition #3 below.

Main Entry: prayer
Pronunciation: pra(a)]()r, pre], ]
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): -s
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English preyere, prayere, from Old French preiere, from
Medieval Latin precaria written petition, supplication, prayer, from Latin,
feminine of precarius obtained by entreaty or prayer, from Latin prec-, prex
request, entreaty, prayer + -arius -ary -- more at PRAY

1 a : a solemn and humble approach to Divinity in word or thought usually
involving beseeching, petition, confession, praise, or thanksgiving <devoted
a moment to silent prayer before beginning his task> b : an earnest request
to someone for something: as (1) : the part of a petition or memorial (as to
a legislature) that specifies the thing desired (2) : the part of a bill in
equity or other pleading that specifies the relief sought (3) : a request
(as by a charge to a jury) for action by the court (4) : a formal motion in
the British Parliament to invalidate a ministerial order or regulation c
prayers plural : earnest good wishes <whatever you decide you have my
prayers>

2: the act or practice of praying: the addressing of words or thought to
Divinity in petition, confession, praise, or thanksgiving <public prayer was
then an accepted custom> <friends and neighbors gathered in prayer for the
dead>

3: a religious service consisting chiefly of prayers -- often used in plural
<had regular family prayers >

4: a set form of words used in praying: a formula of supplication,
confession, praise, or thanksgiving addressed to God or an object of worship
<a book of prayers for different occasions>

5: something prayed for : a subject of prayer <God granted their prayer>

6: a slight or minimal chance (as to succeed or survive) <a second-rate
maritime power without a prayer of meeting military shipping needs -- New
York Times> <hadn't a prayer to recover>

Take care, Moscow.

"I think one of the best ways to support education is to make successful
private schools like Logos prosper through tax exemption."

- Donovan Arnold (July 11, 2005)