[Vision2020] Building and development planning: Fusion?

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 18 13:18:01 PDT 2005

Ted

All of that is fine and dandy, but if immediate impacts are to be dealt
with, the objective has to be to switch from our current patterns of
consumption.

You have yet to even deal with my example of the waste of half a million
gallons of fuel so that Latah County can be declared 'mine free'.

And that was only an example.  If you look at the extensive shipping of raw
materials and building produts from the East Coast to the West Coast in the
United States, you can get a real idea of how silly we have become.  Bulk
materials that should be produced and can be produced locally are shipped at
a cost exceeding their price at railhead in the East over to us here,
consuming large amounts of cash and large amounts of fuel to do so.

Another example for you.  Kyanite
http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/kyanite/kyanimcs05.pdf and
you will note that the sole producer is in Virginia.  Half of all use is in
the Western US, so 50,000 tons are shipped here from virginia annually.  The
cost of the material is $165 a ton at the mine site and the shipping coasts
to get it here to the West are equal to the price of the mineral.  That
means that at least 8 million bucks a year are wasted in shipping that
refractory here and over 2 million gallons of fuel are also burned doing so.

And guess what?  Clearwater County, a farily depressed area next door to us,
has major Kyanite deposits.  The rocks in our region are loaded with it.  If
we supplied the westr coast markets from here, that would save large amounts
of deisel fuel, create a needed local industry and improve depressed
economics in the area.

So please tell me Ted, would you support such a minerals operation outside
of Orofino?  Or would it be more likely that those same folks who complain
about Global Warming and about fuel prices and about lose of jobs and low
wages would all gang up to oppose anybody who might even think about trying
to mine kyanite in the area?

And that is just one of hundreds of bulk commodities that are not produced
locally and a small one at that.  We are spending humdreds of millions of
gallons of fuel each and every year dragging materials across a Continent
because regardless of any other consequence, people here do not want to see
mine or plants located here in the West.

The best thing about the fuel crisis as far as I am concerned is that just
amybe some people will wake up and see that we need to start using
conservation economics and free market environmentalism and regionalize bulk
materials production.  Its one of the easiest ways around for us to cut back
on burning fuel and one that will assist in lowering the price of goods made
right here in the USA.

Phil Nisbet