[Vision2020] Building and development planning: Fusion?

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Wed Aug 17 23:47:27 PDT 2005

Phil et. al.

As the world economy now gorges on the economic benefits of cheap fossil fuel
sourced energy, explain how the economic markets on our planet are now
figuring in all the costs of transitioning to other technologies and energy sources
out to fifty years ahead, or whenever a "critical" state of fossil fuels
depleted is reached, along with the environmental costs if continuing increasing
rates of fossil fuel use result in global warming with flooding of all the major
harbors and coastlines on the planet, which is just one cost that will be
incurred if global warming continues as some climate models predict and current
evidence supports, then you can insist that I don't understand "freemarket
conservatism."

Without cheap fossil fuels, the US and global economy will be in dire
straits, unless there are technologies and forms of energy in abundance that can c
heaply replace fossil fuels.  Right now this is a pipe dream, and I do not see
any rational reason to assume automatically that science and technology will
save us, though there are promising developments, such as fusion:

Place your bets in Vegas!   I'm not sure what the odds are, though.

If ocean levels rise sufficiently, what is the total cost of rebuilding every
major harbor on Earth?   And is this future potential cost being figured into
the economics of out of control fossil fuel use now?

Ask Dick Cheney.  Maybe he's hoping Halliburton will get the contract.

Ted Moffett