[Vision2020] Mayor Anton La Vey

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 17 12:35:19 PDT 2005

Dear Visionaries:

Let me give you an example of what Kai, Donovan, Pat, and Roger's
interpretation of the establishment clause might mean should Anton La
Vey be elected Mayor of Moscow.  (And why not Anton La Vey?  Sure, he's
a Satanist, but he seems like a pro-development, big box kind of guy;
I'm sure he buys his black candles at Wal-Mart.)

At the beginning of every city council meeting -- after, as Keely
points out, the roll call but before the approval of the last meeting's
minutes -- Mayor La Vey draws a pentagram on the floor, kills a white
chicken, and offers up a prayer to the Prince of Darkness.  If the
people in attendance don't want to participate in this Satanic ritual,
they're free to leave.  A few ACLU types complain, of course, so in
order to be fair, Mayor La Vey decides to open city council meetings to
rotating prayers.  He invites the Catholics, the Baptists, the Mormons,
the Jews, the Zorastrians, the Jains, the Hindus, the Muslims, the
Buddhists, the Odinists, the Animists, Seven Drums, practitioners of
Voodoo and Santeria, and, finally, the Unitarians, the Quakers, and the
Ba'Hai to each take a turn.  (No one thinks to call the Atheists.
They're far too controversial.)  Now, we have rotating prayers from
rotating relgions.  But what have we accomplished?  We've officially
introduced public prayer into our public city council meetings, but no
one is happy.  In the first place, who wants to follow Mayor La Vey's
Satanist act?  Certainly not the Baptists.  They're madder than the
snake who married the garden hose.  The Catholics are miserable, the
Muslims are offended, and the Jews are sick and tired of getting the
token treatment -- first Chanukah cards and now this?  Thank you,
Shiksa Mayor, but you can take our turn and give it to the Tibetans.
Hello, Dalai!

My question is why go there?  Again, as Keely points out, individuals
are free to pray anytime, anyplace, and anywhere without display or
ostentation, so why should we want to introduce religion -- any
religion -- into the workings of secular government?  What does
publicly orchestrating a prayer to Jesus (or to Lucifer, or to one's
dead ancestors, or to the sacred light, or to Kali, or to Thor) have to
do with the business of city council?  If I thought Jesus would make
*our* city council enforce its own zoning ordinances, I might be forced
to reconsider the meaning of the establishment clause, but in the
meantime, I'll stick with our "activist" judges who are, in my opinion,
simply and clearly interpreting the First Amendment.  Religion is not
the business of government, and that government is not the business of
religion.  This interpretation of the establishment clause protects all
of us, even the poor, benighted atheists.

Those of you who are busy pointing out that the "wall of separation"
phrase is not in the Constitution are missing the point.  Jefferson
used the phrase twice in letters to religious groups specifically to
explain what he and the other authors of the First Amendment meant by
creating the establishment clause, and turning to Jefferson for
guidance on this issue seems to me to be far closer to a "strict
constructionist" interpretation of the Constitution than relying on the
blatherings of Jerry Falwell or James Dobson or the City Council of
Great Falls, South Carolina.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com