[Vision2020] Public Prayer and the Founders

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Wed Aug 17 12:27:33 PDT 2005

Greetings:

Just for the historical record, I draw your attention to the following:
    * Ben Franklin suggested that the Constitutional Convention in
Philadelphia be opened with prayer.  The assembled delegates voted the old
boy down;
    * Jefferson and Jackson refused to make a presidential declaration of a
national day of prayer and thanksgiving;
    * James Madison believed that churches should pay taxes and that there
should be no congressional chaplains.
There is lots of support among the founders for reading the establishment
clause as a "wall" (Madison used the word "line") between church and
state.  The brutal history of European religious wars and executions was
too fresh in their minds.

Thanks, Keely, for your personal testimony about private prayer and Jesus'
rejection of public prayer.

Finally, one challenge for Roger Falen: show me a Supreme Court decision
that used only the words of the Constitution in the text of the
decision.  Interpretation requires going beyond the mere words.

Nick Gier

"The god you worship is the god you deserve."
~~ Joseph Campbell