[Vision2020] Bishop: Bombing Hiroshima, Nagasaki Same As Terrorism

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sat Aug 6 16:39:00 PDT 2005

~~~GENERAL DOUGLAS MacARTHUR

MacArthur biographer William Manchester has described MacArthur's reaction to
the issuance by the Allies of the Potsdam Proclamation to Japan: "...the
Potsdam declaration in July, demand[ed] that Japan surrender unconditionally or
face 'prompt and utter destruction.' MacArthur was appalled. He knew that the
Japanese would never renounce their emperor, and that without him an orderly
transition to peace would be impossible anyhow, because his people would never
submit to Allied occupation unless he ordered it. Ironically, when the surrender
did come, it was conditional, and the condition was a continuation of the
imperial reign. Had the General's advice been followed, the resort to atomic
weapons at Hiroshima and Nagasaki might have been unnecessary."

William Manchester, American Caesar: Douglas MacArthur 1880-1964, pg. 512.

Norman Cousins was a consultant to General MacArthur during the American
occupation of Japan. Cousins writes of his conversations with MacArthur,
"MacArthur's views about the decision to drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki
were starkly different from what the general public supposed." He continues,
"When I asked General MacArthur about the decision to drop the bomb, I was
surprised to learn he had not even been consulted. What, I asked, would his
advice have been? He replied that he saw no military justification for the dropping
of the bomb. The war might have ended weeks earlier, he said, if the United
States had agreed, as it later did anyway, to the retention of the institution
of the emperor."

Norman Cousins, The Pathology of Power, pg. 65, 70-71.

http://www.doug-long.com/quotes.htm

No more posts from me today, I have exceeded the agreed limit already...

Vision2020 Post by Ted Moffett