[Vision2020] An Introduction, and an Observation

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 02:00:40 PDT 2005

I've been reading Vision2020 for years, but I believe I've lurked for the
entire time, without actually contributing to the dialogue. If I contributed
previously, I no longer remember the subject. Truthfully, my enthusiasm for
Vision2020 waned after Doug Wilson stopped corresponding. He was invariably
entertaining, even if I (nearly) always disagreed with him.

That was supposed to be my clever segue into the topic of this post, namely,
Doug Wilson. It is after 1:00am, and I'm too tired to judge objectively
whether I succeeded. Either way, Wilson is still my topic, in particular the
recent controversy surrounding the serving of alcohol to minors at the
Kibbie Dome. The wine in question is/was sacramental wine, served for the
purposes of observing the Lord's Supper.

Before I express my opinion of this matter, I'm going to digress. This
digression concerns Sony, and the recent judgment against them in a
class-action lawsuit. It seems that Sony invented a film critic -- one David
Manning of Connecticut -- who gave glowing reviews to some of their less
than superlative films. Of course, this was a silly thing to do, but that
isn't the point of this digression. The point relates to what Sony did next.
Rather than apologize and provide refunds to their abused customers, Sony
compounded their stupidity by claiming that they hadn't been lying at all,
but merely exercising their right of free speech. Now, wasn't that dumb? If
you respected Sony before, don't you respect them less now?

Perhaps I'm extrapolating too wildly here, but I think that those who
complained about Wilson serving alcohol at the Kibbie Dome should be
embarrassed. They probably aren't, and I doubt my words will persuade them
that they should be, but that is my conviction nonetheless. I'm not ever
expecting Sony to admit a strategic mistake, either.

I don't like Wilson. Let me rephrase that: I don't like much of what I think
I know about Wilson. I'm a bisexual ex-Christian who thinks that abortions
should be granted at the drop of a hat. That puts us fairly clearly on
opposite sides of a probably unbridgeable chasm. I wish that Wilson, and
others like him, would leave Moscow post-haste, forever, so that I can enjoy
my wonderful, liberal bastion of Moscow, Idaho, unmolested, and at peace.
That isn't tolerant of me, and I sincerely grieve my lack of tolerance. It
reveals me as the hypocrite I try to avoid. However, as much as I dislike
him, I'm not going to use flimsy pretext in my attempt to chase him away,
because I think dishonesty is embarrassing, and gives ammunition to Wilson,
and earns his righteous disdain, which doesn't help us, but hurts us.