[Vision2020] MoscowWiki

Bill London london at moscow.com
Fri Apr 29 10:09:19 PDT 2005

Nils Peterson (with Steve Spaeth and Theron DesRosier) has begun the Moscow
Wiki.  He asked me about the relationship of the Moscow Wiki with Moscow
Vision 2020.  I am replying on V2020 with the hope that others will join in
the discussion on V2020 or will add their own expertise to the MoscowWiki.

Here's some info about the MoscowWiki (http://moscowwiki.editme.com/) :
This new Internet-based free information-sharing system (named for the words
"wiki" meaning quick in Hawaiian and "pedia" for encyclopedia) is based on
the public adding and editing text to create a people's encyclopedia of
Moscow, said Peterson, a Moscow resident who works as the assistant director
of the Washington State University Center for Teaching, Learning and
Technology.  The goal of Peterson and his small group of "wiki gardeners" is
to enlist the public in creating a comprehensive resource, composed of text
and links, for the Moscow community.

"Wikis began in the late 1990's," Peterson said.  "They are websites that
are very easy to modify or expand.  Everyone can participate.  We want to
build a wiki for Moscow that will not be any one organization's web site, or
the voice of any one person.  We want the public to add their ideas and
perspectives describing the resources of our community."

So, the MoscowWiki is a moderated on-line encyclopedia that welcomes the
additions and participation of all of us.  V2020 is a non-moderated email
discussion that welcomes the additions and participation of all of us.

V2020 is now linked to the MoscowWiki.  Meaning you can search around the
Wiki and find V2020 and then join the V2020 discussion.

Given the different focuses of the wiki and V2020, I do not know how they
could be, or should be, drawn closer.  But I also think that the MoscowWiki
is a cool thing -- I added a small section of Moscow Parks under the outdoor
activities department.  I urge you to check it out, and add your own
information (it was very easy).     BL