[Vision2020] Opportunity is Now

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Apr 24 10:12:49 PDT 2005

>From today's (April 24, 2005) Lewiston Morning Tribune with a special thanks
to Cindy Bechinski

Opportunity is now

I wish to express my sincere hope that voters will support the Moscow School
District bond levy. The construction of a new high school and the
expansion/update of Russell and West Park are long overdue.

Critical benefits for high school students include a 9-12 high school
configuration, thus enabling ninth-graders to have ready access to higher
level courses and additional elective options. Moscow High School would
finally have modern science and technology labs that are essential for our
students to gain up-to-date skills. Additionally, we would, at long last,
have athletic fields and on-site physical education. Paradise Creek
Alternative High School could then occupy our current high school and have
room to grow.

Russell and West Park are wonderful schools that require significant
renovation. These buildings would be upgraded to accommodate more grade
levels and classrooms. We would have a K-5 configuration at both schools and
the concept of neighborhood schools would be restored. There would be
adequate space for special education, gifted/talented, and Title I programs,
as well as for music classes, libraries, and computers.

The Facilities Planning Committee has worked tirelessly for months to devise
this proposal. In speaking with many friends and neighbors, I realize that
some people don't have their every wish in the proposal: Some want a bigger
high school; some want to only focus their energies on the elementary
schools, etc. I hope that everyone can see that the opportunity to provide
appropriate school buildings for our children and community is now. ...

Cindy Bechinski
Moscow

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will
stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving
path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so
far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

-Sir Winston Churchill