[Vision2020] Changed My Mind

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Apr 24 10:11:34 PDT 2005

>From today's (April 24, 2005) Lewiston Morning Tribune with a special thanks
to Kim Garland Campbell

Changed my mind

A year ago I was against any school facilities plan that moved the high
school away from downtown or that shut down either West Park or Russell
school. This year, after the property revaluation, I was even less
interested in a facilities levy.

I've changed my mind. Why? Because the current school facilities in Moscow
obstruct education. The new plan satisfies our current and future needs.
Russell and West Park will be remodeled into full K-5 elementary schools.
Reconfiguring the grades to K-5, 4-8 and 9-12 will relieve crowding at Lena,
McDonald and West Park. A new high school will have adequate science and
computer laboratories, music and art facilities, room for professional
technical education, and will be ADA compliant.

All of the current school buildings will still be in use. Paradise Creek
Regional High School will have a home of its own. Important aesthetics are
included, like grass on the playground at Russell, new playing fields at the
high school and rest rooms in kindergarten classrooms. And because keeping
all the buildings in place under the current configuration and remodeling
them will cost approximately $11,000 more than the proposed plan and still
leave us without room for growth.

Our family will pay about $14 more per month in taxes when this levy passes.
I don't spend money without careful consideration. This bond levy is the
best plan for the kids who attend Moscow schools. Please vote yes on April
26.

Kim Garland Campbell
Moscow

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will
stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving
path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so
far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

-Sir Winston Churchill