[Vision2020] How'd We Get Here?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Apr 24 10:10:08 PDT 2005

>From today's (April 24, 2005) Lewiston Morning Tribune with a special thanks
to Wynn Mosman

How'd we get here?

A few thoughts about Moscow's April 26 bond levy:

How have we allowed ourselves to get to the point where some parents
transport their kindergartener to the UI campus, their second-grader to West
Park and their fourth-grader to Russell?

How have we allowed ourselves to get to the point where high school physical
education students are bused to the junior high to play softball in a
parking lot?

How have we allowed ourselves to get to the point where science education is
expected to be accomplished in classrooms built before television, the polio
vaccine or penicillin?

How have we allowed ourselves to get to the point where year after year,
decade after decade, we face the same recycled argument -- "Wait till next
year"?

How have we allowed ourselves to get to the point where those with no
interest in public education also dictate the educational standard for
nearly 2,400 students in the public school system?

Critics argue this is the wrong place or the wrong time. If not here, where?
If not now, when? Vote yes on April 26.

Wynn Mosman
Moscow

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will
stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving
path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so
far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

-Sir Winston Churchill