[Vision2020] An interconnected plan

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Apr 24 10:01:12 PDT 2005

>From today's (April 24, 2005) Lewiston Morning Tribune with a special thanks
to Renae Marineau

An interconnected plan

Compromise often means that both sides have to give up something or lose
out.

The current proposed bond that would fund a balanced blend of historic
renovation and new construction is different. The long-range plan is built
on a compromise but ends in a win-win for our entire community. The
Facilities Committee, made up of 24 members of the community, has considered
every contemporary facilities proposal and study, the current needs of the
district, the needs of other city and county agencies, our community needs,
and the need to give the taxpayer a lot of impact for the money.

The proposed bond of $29 million is a large price tag but when the projects
are finished the total benefits to our community will be worth this amount
and much more. To accomplish this value-to-cost benefit, the current
proposal is complex, each project dependent on the other. If the High School
project is dropped there is not a fiscally responsible way to remodel the
elementary schools because there is no space for children to be while each
school is remodeled. If the middle school is dropped, much needed space is
not recaptured at each elementary building, driving up cost at all the
elementary schools. If the elementary improvements are dropped, we will
continue to use facilities that are not owned by the district and bus
students to off-site buildings.

We currently have space needs in every school, in county government and in
the downtown area. Please join me in supporting our schools and community.

ReNAE MARINEAU
Moscow

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will
stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving
path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so
far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

-Sir Winston Churchill