[Vision2020] Why should we close West Park?

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 24 01:37:06 PDT 2005

Mr. Rigsby,

You ask, “Where do you suggest we send the children of the students of the
University of Idaho if MSD decides to close West Park?”

Tim, if you listened to my argument you would understand we would send them
to the new school.

“Wouldn't closing West Park put even more financial burden on the students
at UI whose children attend West Park?”

University of Idaho Students who reside on campus do not pay property taxes.
So, the answer to that questions would be no. Also it would cost the same.
We are just trading the value of the land for a quality building.

“What about the inconvenience that closing West Park would create for these
students whose children attend West Park?”

Most the children that attend West Park are bussed in from outside the city
of Moscow. It would actually be easier for them to not have to drive through
the traffic of the University which creates more traffic congestion in an
area with many pedestrians.

“I thought you cared about people that suffer from a lower income or live on
a fixed income.  Some of the lowest income families in town are the ones who
live in married student housing or have children that attend school while
they pursue either undergrad or graduate degrees at UI.”

Yes, Family Housing was one of my living groups for two years. I had
received many complaints from parents about their kindergarteners having to
be educated inside the University and the dangers of their children having
to cross 6th street on the way to West Park. A new school would give low
income families a state of the art modern school, in a safer area more child
friendly, allow parents to pick up their children in one location, and cost
the same or less to the taxpayer.

The current building is a bad design. It cannot be made to meet the needs of
the students. It is too small. It cannot be added onto it because it already
occupies 95% of the land the MSD owns, it even has to rent the parking lot
from the city. It is also poor for instruction purposes. The music room is
right in the middle of the school classrooms and is not sound proof. It is
hard to learn fractions when you can hear someone bashing symbols in the
room next door. Also, it is designed in a way that the administrators cannot
see down the halls. This is dangerous because if something happens to a
child in the hallway nobody can see them.

“Plus, look at the diverse makeup of West Park elementary.  There is more
diversity in that school per capita compared to any other school or
institution in town.”

If we move the children all to a new school they will still be the same
race, culture, religion, gender, etc. We would just be putting them in a
larger more modern school.

“Have you noticed the cost of gas these days?  $2.47 per gallon at the
Conoco up the road.  If we close West Park, the parents may have to drive to
pick up their children from school instead of walk from class to West Park
and then onto home.”

Parents do not drive their children to school unless they want to. Busses
are provided by the MSD for children not considered within walking distance.
Parents do not like their children walking around on campus. University
roads are full of speeders and inexperienced drivers. This would address the
safety concerns parents have had about walking to West Park.

“I suspect that the financial impact of closing West Park would outweigh the
monies earmarked for the renovation of West Park.  However, I could be
wrong.”

I disagree. You could build a new elementary school for $4.6 million plus
the money from the sale of West Park. This would also save you operational
costs by not having to rent parking from the city and space for Kindergarten
in the University. The new school would also have a longer life, reduced
utility usage, and be much larger and capable of housing all the students.
Investing $4.6 million into a school that is going to be too small anyway
seems like a waste. We have a cheap building on expensive land. Why not an
expensive building on cheap land?

“So tell me again why you think we should close West Park.”

Because it would save the taxpayers money and provide a safe quality new
school for the poorest and most disadvantaged members of are community. It
would give poorer kids a chance to get out of an impoverished inadequate
school. I do not think that diversity should be synonymous with an
inadequate school as it is most cases. Let us give the kids with nothing
something.

Another point you can ponder. If you built a new elementary school, it would
give you a place to put the Russell kids while you renovated the historical
building. This would also save you the money of having to retrofit the
current high school to suit the needs of the elementary students.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

PS, Congratulations on joining the Ameri-Corps. If I did not have so much in
loans, I would do that myself.