[Vision2020] RE: fishing derby

Mark Seman FCS at Moscow.com
Wed Apr 20 16:48:50 PDT 2005

Bill,
I appreciate your response, I understand your perspective and I totally
agree with you about the impacts this event has on the park, its inhabitants
and visitors.  This event has been a part of Moscow's culture for many
years, which in itself does not make it "right", but it does offer a great
venue of teachiing and learning for a huge range of impacts people have on
their surroundings.  Just because this event has a title such as "fishing
derby," does not imply that its "meaning" should only be kept within the
concept of its organizers.  Although one significant concept for all
organizers is for this event to be a positive one, within whatever
*reasonable* scenerio it takes.

I would encourage any and everyone to help participate in the event, and
bring with them their own unique perspective on what this "fishing derby"
is.  Educational opportunities abound for environmental stewardship,
ecosystem structure, empathy for other life, the sublime wonder of our
world, and our cultural biases, but it takes peoples' involvement for *all*
this to occur.  IDF&G, Kiwanis, parents, and other volunteers will try to do
their part, but they will only scratch the surface of the entire available
potential.  I hope these posts will encourage others to visit the event and
be actualized to participate in making it better.

I operate within this community at a number of levels to help promote its
betterment and this venue is single event in my life.  It is not inert nor
is it catastrophic, it is only a part of a continuum of my efforts.  Looking
at the wider social perspective of what I could be doing and the rate of
positive influence, maybe it's not ideal, but it is as good as people make
it.  Somewhat relevant to this event and my life, I come with 18 years of
commercial fishing history in which I helped slaughter 100k's of salmon.
Why did I do it and what was its meaning?  My understanding is different, my
perception of "fish" is different, my reverence for life is different.  I
know what it was and I know what it is.

When inappropriate behavior is observed, I hope there is opportunity for
discourse and education.  If you decide to attend or visit, please stop by
the concessions area, find me and offer other suggestions and solutions.
I'm glad you took the time to voice your thoughts.

Mark
Kiwanis member
PCEI Board member

Mark Seman, Architect
Heather Seman, Landscape Architect
1404 East 'F' Street  Moscow, Idaho 83843
v 208-883-3276 / f 208-883-0112