[Vision2020] Growth and Development

tbertruss at aol.com tbertruss at aol.com
Thu Apr 7 18:54:21 PDT 2005

Joan et. al.

But a new high school here, which I would love to see for many
reasons, should perhaps be opposed if a line in the sand is to be
drawn regarding the continued expanding impact of the human race upon
the Earth's ecosystems and life forms.

Just about everyone in every nation on earth has their reason why they
do not want to stop this expansion.  And it all adds up to the out of control
global growth of human population and impact on the environment.

We do not have the right to cause the extinction of a single species!  And
we certainly are not thinking ahead even one generation regarding the impact of
what we are doing to the Earth will have on those little humans being
born today.

Yes, even just from the economic considerations of scarcer fossil
fuels, we should have a Manhattan Project level focus on development
and use of alternative energy right now, with mandated radical
increases in fuel efficiency for the US fleet of vehicles on the
highway, like going to an average of 40 mpg compared to the 27 mpg we
are at now.  15 mpg SUVs should be outlawed as an irresponsible and
reckless use of the Earth's resources.

I am certainly not doing all I can to limit my contribution to this
reckless use of our Earth.  But I do know that every little action
that every person takes all adds up to what we are doing.

One new high school in Moscow Idaho seems like a trifling matter.  But the
construction of this high school is still is based on the energy model
of outrageous fossil fuel consumption, both to build the school,
transporting materials and fueling the machines for construction, and
by locating the school on the edge of town, increasing fossil fuel use
to get to and back from the proposed location.  If MSD considered this
in a responsible manner, the school would be built to run in part on
alternative energy with alternative energy powered school  buses, etc.

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead," whatever that means exactly,
seems the motto for the human race as we play Russian Roulette with
the environment.

My perspective on this would be called extremist by most, no doubt.
But I think the extremists are those who think the current model of
energy consumption and economic development that we are all embedded
within is acceptable.

If the over 10 billion humans expected to populate Earth attempted to live
like the average US citizen, it is absolutely certain that there would not be
enough energy and resources to accomplish this.  Even if attempted, the
impact on the Earth's environment would be catastrophic.  So we can
proceed as though we are entitled to our orgy of consumption, while billions
of other human beings are not, or we can now start to limit consumption
and development.

These are hard choices that very few people are willing to face, especially the
privileged in the USA, content with their power and wealth.

What is amazing is how many aware and progressive minded people who
know there is an environmental and/or resource shortage train wreck
coming, still just shrug their shoulders, and proceed with the same lifestyle
contributing to this potential wreck.

This probably includes me as I drive my car to town to get to work!

Jeesh!

Ted Moffett

Ted writes:

"Joan et. al. . . . What is missing in all your humor is the slightest
recognition of my central point that I stated several times regarding
discussion of Moscow's growth, a point that a genius of your caliber
perhaps finds too insignificant to comment on.

Why bother, it's only the future of all life on our planet?  I'm out
of this game!"

I'll let you in on a secret, Ted . . . "a genius of my caliber" can
only address your central point about Moscow's (and the world's)
growth by making reference to terrifying articles she reads in the
National Geographic.  I don't find your point insignificant; I find
your point frightening.  And so, like Scarlet O'Hara, I won't think
about that today; I'll think about that tomorrow.  Is this
irresponsible?  Yes.  Is this thoughtless?  Yes, again.  But I had
insomnia for a week after I read an extensive piece in the National
Geographic a few months ago about the end of cheap oil.  We are
rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell, and it's hard for me
to see (other than by making my own small efforts to drive
fuel-efficient cars, to recycle, and to make do or do without) just
what I can do to dramatically reduce global -- okay, American --
over-consumption.  Not in a discussion about whether or not we should
pass a school facilities bond.

No, we can't go on like we've been going on.  I not only concede your
point, Ted, I agree with you whole-heartedly.  But to think about
over-population, over-consumption, and unrestrained global growth in
any great detail at the moment just makes me long for a really strong
martini and a Valium chaser.  THIS IS NOT A JOKE.  If you can wait a
month or so, the days will be longer, the skies will be sunnier, and
I'll feel considerably less anxious.  Then, I'd be more than happy to
talk about your larger point at length.  It is an important point --
but it's not a timely topic of discussion for those of us who suffer
from Seasonal Affective Disorder.  We're too busy gazing out the
window wondering if the rain will ever stop and the sun will ever come
out.

Now, get back in the game, Ted.  We need you here.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com