[Vision2020] 1912 Levy Issues

Shelly CJs at Turbonet.com
Sat Apr 2 20:35:46 PST 2005

Tim writes:
Phil:

The physical education you received is not the physical education of today.
Students still perform well in sit-ups, push-ups, running etc, however, PE
has been
diversified to include activities that would be considered lifetime
activities.  A
PE instructor is more than the coach with his newspaper and whistle around
his neck.
PE teachers now have to combat future disease for example, diabetes, obesity
 CVD, etc.
In order for PE teachers to do this effectively, we must get students
excited and
involved in activities that they find interest in.  How often do you
participate
in the activities that you did in high school PE?  Do you still climb the
rope Phil?
Phil: I agree. No I do not climb a rope. I couldn't if my life depended on
it.

I can guarantee that most of the students in MHS Outdoor Ed will continue to
work on
the skills they have learned using UI facilities.  Wall Climbing is a new
craze and
walls are being built all over the place.  Even at McDonald and Lena
Whitmore, climbing
holds have been installed so climbing can be introduced at younger ages.
Not only
climbing, but all of the other activities presented to MHS Outdoor Ed have
the
potential to develop into lifetime activities.
Phil: This is great!

Look at other school curriculums of PE.  Salmon High School won model school
of the year for 2004 based entirely on their outdoor education program.  The
students at Salmon kayak, wall climb, ski, and participate in various other
outdoor activities.
Phil: What is the supporting tax base of Salmon High School?

Even students at Boise High School participate in Outdoor Education.
Granted Boise has a few more options for outdoor pursuits, but the same
general activities take place all throughout the state.  Wall Climbing, Fly
Fishing, Biking, etc. are not luxuries by any measure.  If anything, they
are required activities for student enjoyment and achievement.
Phil: Again. What is the supporting tax base? Per student? What is this
dollar amount? I am not an economics person but this is an economic problem.
I think what our legislatures ought to do is come up with a dollar amount
per student and make it equal throughout the entire state. Then maybe some
of the taxes from Boise would end up at our door and help our tax burden.
That seems like a fair resolution.

Walking is not considered vigorous physical activity.  In order for vigorous
physical
activity to take place, a person’s heart rate has to be at or near their
maximum HR.
Students have learned how to calculate their Max HR and they use this number
along
with HR monitors to monitor their level of physical activity.  Yes, some
students could
walk and achieve vigorous physical activity, but that is not likely.  Also,
if the
students were forced to walk to UI daily for class; the likely result would
be one of
two things; 1. Students would get bored with walking and would not sign up
for PE,
especially since PE is no longer a required course in Idaho, or
Phil: Economics comes into play here. The little tax dollars in the coffer
should go towards "required" courses. Then any left over can go on
non-required courses.

2. Safety concerns
would prevent a class from walking to UI.  Any sane principal will not allow
their
students to walk through morning downtown traffic to get to UI.  Bussing is
the only
safe alternative to get students to UI not only safely but as a group.  Also
 if the
students walked to UI, they would further cut into their activity time.  It
takes an
average person 12-15 minutes to walk a mile, and at most 5-7 minutes to
drive that
same distance through town.
 Phil: Bussing is expensive not only in gasoline but Insurance, maintenance,
labor, etc. For a "non-required" course? There would not be any streets to
cross if the High School was built on UI public land.

It is not UI's responsibility to pay for a high school.  UI helps public
school
students in various other ways besides paying taxes.  How many times have
Vandal
Athletes served as role models for elementary students?  How often do you
see UI
College of Education students volunteering their time in the schools to help
teach
the children of Moscow?
Phil: Granted some might be volunteers but many of them receive funds and
units which I do not consider "volunteering" as they are being compensated.

I personally have spent nearly 300 hours of volunteer time in the Moscow
schools, volunteering my time with no compensation other than the joy of
watching children learn.  Mike Kinziger, Recreation Professor at UI, hosts
500-600 elementary students each year in the Kibbie Dome to play games with
college students. Do these three activities not benefit the children in the
schools and the schools in general?
Phil: I deeply appreciate your volunteer time for the children of Moscow as
I am sure many others do.

The State of Idaho is like every other state in the US, they do not have
enough money
to please everyone and build a school for every deserving district.  Look at
the
problem Troy faced with the state.  There is still never ending litigation
between
schools and the state.  Is this right, no, but provide me a better solution
to fix
this problem than saying that UI or the state should pay for schools.
Phil: Like I said before. You take all of the school tax dollars that are
collected throughout the state. Put it in one pot. Count up every student.
Divide the students into the money collected and wheever those students are
(school districts) will receive their portion. But, everybody in the state
needs to be taxed at the same rate to make it fair for every citizen in our
state.

Phil your never ending complaining about how the UI is trying to screw you
will get you
no where.  All you are going to do is drive people away from your business
on your own.
NO, UI should not open a pub on campus, that is not their job as an
institution.
Plus the Board of Regents and State Board would not allow it based upon
their rules and
bylaws.  Without UI there would be no CJ's dance club.
Phil: If there was no UI, I can assure you there would never have been or be
a CJ's. Or, much of a downtown. Probably not even a grocery store. I am not
saying that UI is trying to "screw me," I am just upset with having to pay
more taxes all the time. There is not enough tax paying citizens or
businesses in this town to support everybody's wants and wishes.

Students won't drive from Pullman, Lewiston, or Clarkston to come to CJ's,
especially if UI was not here. You should be thanking UI for bringing you
business and always providing you with a
never ending supply of students who like to drink and dance.  John's Alley
seems to be
doing okay, I mean they are putting more money into their building to make
it more
attractive than any other place in town.  I don't hear Vertical Dave or
Jordan complaining about the idea of a campus pub driving their patrons away
  This is not Florida St, we will not see a campus pub anytime soon.
Phil: John's Alley's customers are much older than CJ's. John's Alley also
has a lot of the locals. Have you ever been inside CJ's?

The campus eateries do pay taxes, as they are not owned by the University.
Phil: I was told differently. So the University is paying property tax where
these eateries are? I don't think so. I was also told the eateries do not
pay taxes on all of their equipment. Called personal property tax. I do.
Granted they may be paying income tax.

All of the food at UI is contracted out to outside organizations.  If
Mingles wanted to open up
shop or Pita Pit or any other restaurant in town, they could.  Latah Federal
Credit
Union has a branch on campus.  The Prospector went out of business because
of shoddy
business practices, not because UI opened a food court.  I remember the
Prospector
being full at mid day with students and faculty alike, eating, drinking and
having a
good time.
Phil: Thanks for the education on The Prospector although I can't imagine
him dumping a thriving business. That is ...... unless he had to.

Don't blame business going under on UI, without UI, business would not
survive in Moscow.
Phil: You are absolutely correct. UI also depends on the businesses too. Don
t ya think? It's like a marriage.

Blame Wal-Mart and the proposed Moscow Home Depot for putting out business
on
the Palouse, not UI.
 Phil: Why would I want to blame Wal-Mart? Wal-Mart is leaving.
Home Depo? Hmmmmmmm.
Is Home Depo gonna be on campus?