[Vision2020] Two for the price of one for Pat

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 08:28:29 PST 2005

Pat and Visionaries:

Thanks for the references, Pat but you are begging the point.  Your  claim
Pat, as I understand it was that the rise of Nazism and subsequently the
Holocaust was based on the Darwinian theories of evolution and 20th century  eugenic
theory.  Not so. The following test addresses the fallacy you  employed to
arrive at this conclusion, It's called Post hoc, ergo propter  hoc.

"Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" is Latin for "after  this, therefore because of
this." It is used to refer to the logical fallacy of  assuming that because
one event follows another it was also caused by it. For  example: "I thought of
my brother, and then, like, two seconds later he phoned  me. He must have felt
my aura and responded to me." Or, less fancifully, but  equally flawed: "The
rooster cock ‘a doodled and the sun rose. Therefore, the  rooster's sound must
have caused the sun to rise."

Sometimes an event happens after another event coincidentally, and the  two
have nothing to do with each other. The mere fact of proximity in time  should
not be taken as sufficient proof of a cause-and-effect relationship,  because
it ain't.
At other  times, a number of partial causes lead to an effect, but one is
selected as the  sole cause. This is called "oversimplification of the cause,"
and it is also  flawed thinking. We can't establish what is actually the case
solely by  reference to when things happen. So long as you don't fall into
thinking that  you can thusly establish things, you won't commit the post hoc, ergo
propter hoc  fallacy.
_http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/logic/logic5.html_
(http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/logic/logic5.html)
It might  be worthwhile for you to read the paper (link below) in  which
Professor Yehuda Bauer discusses the anti-Semitic climate in medieval  Europe
and Germany in particular - which of course had been on-going  several
hundred years before Darwin.

_http://www1.yadvashem.org/odot_pdf/Microsoft%20Word%20-%203880.pdf_
(http://www1.yadvashem.org/odot_pdf/Microsoft%20Word%20-%203880.pdf)

Rose Huskey

"One cannot  level one's moral lance at every evil in the universe. There are
just too many  of them. But you can do something, and the difference between
doing something  and doing nothing is everything." Daniel Berrigan