[Vision2020] Idaho Is Poorly Managed by a bunch of Ignorant Republican Farmers

Dick Schmidt dickschmidt at moscow.com
Fri Apr 1 13:57:59 PST 2005

David,

I really can't say I agree with you that a cigarette tax is a regressive tax. That is something you choose to do and is not something like having to eat. It is probably right that more people smoke on the lower end of the wage scale but again they choose to. Another reason for a tax on cigarettes is to give people another reason to quit. I smoked for 40 years and gave it up about 6 or 7 years ago. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I can remember about 20 years ago being in Canada and ran out of cigarettes. I paid $3.50 for a pack of American cigarettes and all the while thinking just how stupid it was. On the other end of the scale when I was in the Navy I smoked Lucky Strikes and paid $0.90 a carton for cigarettes at sea.

I will definitely say that a sales tax is a regressive tax and you are fortunate in Montana that you don't have one as yet. In some states they do exempt food and prescription medicine but Idaho does not and that makes it a more regressive tax. A benefit I enjoy when I come to Montana is that in some McDonalds I can still get a senior coffee for $0.25. Us old guys like a bargain!

I will do some looking at what the CATO people have to say about the cigarette tax.

Dick Schmidt