[Vision2020] Idaho Is Poorly Managed by a bunch of Ignorant Republican Farmers

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Fri Apr 1 04:49:02 PST 2005

Dick, I'll concede that it may be premature to assess the final impact
on tax collections.  However, if you're interested, The Cato Institution
has done extensive analysis on the impact of tobacco tax, revenue
collections and black market cigarette sales..  With that I show my
libertarian bias.

As for Montana law, I'm not sure how it's circumvented, but cigarettes
on the S-K reservation are significantly less than they are off the
reservation.  Perhaps that has been a consequence of the reported
stockpiling as well.  There's no way for me to know.

Having said that, you did not address my (libertarian) concern about the
regressive nature of the tax.

db