[Vision2020] Moscow Community Blood Drive

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 17:14:33 PDT 2004

A caveat on the blood drive (which I think is great idea and a community obligation): some of us who would love to donate, and who used to donate on a regular basis, are now barred by the Red Cross from offering up a pint.  Gay men are barred, even if they're proven HIV negative.  People like me, who lived in the United Kingdom for more than a year during the mid-eighties Mad Cow epidemic, are barred.  If you've had a tattoo, you're barred from donating for up to a year.  Before you go down and offer up a vein, check with the Red Cross to make sure that you're wanted.  I can tell you from bitter experience that it's very demoralizing to show up all civic-minded only to be turned away.

I have a comparatively rare blood type, AB+, and would love to give, but I can't.  Of course that doesn't stop me from selling my plasma up in Spokane when I need a few bucks to buy a bottle of Ripple . . .

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment