[Vision2020] Kimmell Still Has Not Responded

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Mon Sep 13 18:45:59 PDT 2004

Greetings:

I've been out of town for two weeks, so I'm still catching up on a few
issues.  I've submitted the following letter to the Daily News.

To the Editor:

In his letter (Letters, August ?) Jim Parsons claimed that Paul Kimmell had
responded to all the allegations against him.  This is patently
untrue.  Consider the following:

· Kimmell has been repeatedly asked to explain what the meaning and
implication of the “oversight from the elders” of Christ Church.  I know of
no other church or institution in Moscow that would compromise the
conscience of any elected official in this manner.

· Kimmell has been repeatedly asked to explain why he chose Robert E. Lee
as an example of business leadership for a town that has just been through
a divisive debate about neo-Confederate influences in Christ Church and
Logos School.

Kimmell’s pastor Doug Wilson has admitted to displaying the Confederate
flag at a school function and a conservative Presbyterian has written to
this paper attesting to the presence of the flag in Wilson’s office.

On the last page of Kimmell’s presentation he has the audacity to display
the American and Confederate flags side by side with the strong implication
that both are of equal worth, or that they are still in great tension. Some
would call this treason.

Steve Wilkins, Wilson’s good friend and co-author of Slavery As It Was, is
a founding director of the League of the South, an organization dedicated
to the withdrawal of 15 states from the union under the banner of white
male Calvinist authority.  Wilkins is also one of the most active student
recruiters for New St. Andrews College and Logos School.

When traveling and I identify myself as a Idahoan, I invariably have to
respond: “The potatoes are down south and that the Aryan Nations compound,
thanks to the Southern Poverty Law Center, has been dismantled.”

I dread the thought of Moscow’s image being marred by people who want to
refight the Civil War and bring alien ideas to our fine town.

Nick Gier