[Vision2020] Ineffective Leadership Principles of Robert E. Lee

sean o2design at wsu.edu
Wed Sep 1 08:33:54 PDT 2004

Although I did not attend Mr. Kimmel's
presentation, I did skim through the provided
slides online.  I am confused, however, about
which of Lee's leadership principles or which
character traits (e.g., brave, gentle, generous,
noble, character in defeat) are Mr. Hansen and
others suggesting are not to be valued?

If the concern in emails such as the one below
are about who was used to reflect values, but
that the values themselves are agreeable, then
that is worth saying.  If the principles and
traits are not valued then that also is worth
stating so that readers are clear.

I am also unclear whether Mr. Hansen and others
are disputing whether Lee personified some or all
of those traits as a general, or whether he was
one of the most effective military leaders in
U.S. history.

Perhaps the issue is whether readers believe a
leader's actions in personal life can be
separated from public leadership.  Further,
whether errors in judgement, including moral
ones, invalidate laudable leadership.  Perhaps it
will seem a stretch, but not too long ago this
nation debated whether a president could choose
to act in immoral ways, harming others, and still
be a leader worth following and remembering for
his positive traits.

Again, specifically, I would like to know which
of the PRINCIPLES of leadership that were cited
are not what Moscow's community leaders can
expect to be effective.  Separately, it would
valuable to read which readers consider to be
cited principles that are not in keeping with the
reader's values (it is probably worth not trying
to speak for large segments of Moscow, but rather
for one's self).

The slides nicely break out the principles Mr.
Kimmel seems to have espoused, so it should be
easy for respondents to find them and not get
lost on sidetracking issues (e.g., it seems to
make little sense to spend so much time on Lee in
a presentation, rather than drawing from his
principles and then just focusing on them,
showing a Confederate flag is likely to do little
to help listeners get the principles).  Unless of
course avoiding the questions posed here is
desired.

Thanks,

--
Sean Michael

			********
"It is natural for man to indulge in the
illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes
against a painful truth, and listen to the song
of that siren till she transforms us into
beastsŠ. For my part, whatever anguish of spirit
it may cost, I am willing to know the whole
truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it."

			-Patrick Henry
				American, Patriot