[Spam] [Vision2020] MCA Debate

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Fri Oct 29 12:26:55 PDT 2004

Jack and Vision 2020 members,

I can only say that every Republican candidate eagerly agreed to attend the debates.  Barrett Schroeder, Republican Party County Chair, subsequently issued a letter about a week later saying that all candidates "decline your [MCA's] invitation to attend."

Jack Nelson is an honorable man of his word.  He was true to his promise and attended the MCA debates.  He declined to bow to political pressure.  How refreshing!

I might add that Jack and Linda Pike answered a series of questions about taxes, land-use, education, economic development, and transportation issues relating to U.S. 95, a bypass and "ring" roads.  They tended to agree on most of the issues.  The debate was fair; Jack and Linda were treated fairly; and afterwards, both expressed that thought along with gratitude to the MCA for holding the debate.  In my opinion, that should be the end of this story.

Believe me, I did not threaten anyone about the consequences of not accepting my invitation to the MCA debates.

I can only surmise that AFTER the other Republicans withdrew from the MCA debates that some people may have "threatened" not to vote for candidates who were unwilling to face citizen questions at an open forum moderated by a neutral questioner.

You will notice that the allegations of "threats" and "harm" from those Republican candidates who renounced their acceptance of MCA's debate invitation (or acquiesced to Schroeder's renouncement of it for them, in the cases of both Wayne Rausch and Earl Bennett -- neither of whom even had the courtesy to let me know that they had changed their minds and would not attend) are pretty vague and unspecified.  I suspect that whatever "threats" actually were made came from people who said they wouldn't vote for candidates that were unwilling to attend the MCA debates.  Characterizing the loss of a vote as a vague "threat" of "harm" for not attending, without further elaboration, seems a bit self-serving and misleading.

Apparently, I gather from the newspaper reports that Wayne Rausch WAS "threatened" more specifically, i.e., by someone to the effect that he would face a personal question of some kind.  That pre-supposes that the question would pass the selection test from John Irby, WSU Journalism professor and neutral moderator, who would not have asked irrelevant "personal" questions.

All I know is that I was waiting to evaluate Rausch and the other Sheriff's candidates, had been lobbied hard by people I respect who wanted me to vote for Rausch, and that I was willing to consider that possibility and carefully monitor the candidates' answers and demeanor.  Sadly, I wasn't able to evaluate Mr. Rausch, other than to realize that he is ill-mannered for not contacting me to confirm (1) that Schroeder speaks for him, and (2) that he, Rausch, would not attend despite his earlier acceptance of MCA's invitation.  Instead, I will make my voting decision based on the answers from the candidates who appeared.

In conclusion, let me reiterate that the MCA debates were fair, that Jack Nelson is to be commended for his integrity and strength in the face of adversity, that the MCA debates offered far greater time for questions on issues of real substance than any other such event in this county, and, finally, that the citizens of this county are poorer for having been denied the opportunity to examine the differences between the views of the non-attending Republican candidates from those of their opponents.

Bruce Livingston
Moscow Civic Association
Committee on Elections and Debates