[Vision2020] Hunter S. Thompson: Ugly, Tasteless, Terrifying and Wild... Count Me In!

Garrett Clevenger onewildearth at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 28 22:08:10 PDT 2004

Ugly,  Tasteless, Terrifying and Wild... Count Me In!

He's been America's  most unorthodox political commentator for more than 30
years. But for Dr Hunter  S Thompson the Bush presidency is evil beyond
belief - and judgment is nigh

by Hunter S. Thompson

The  genetically vicious nature of presidential campaigns in America is too
obvious  to argue with, but some people call it fun, and I am one of them.
Election day  - especially when it's a presidential election - is always a
wild and terrifying  time for politics junkies, and I am one of those, too.
We look forward to major  election days like sex addicts look forward to
orgies. We are slaves to them.

Which  is not a bad thing, all in all, for the winners. They are not the
ones who bitch  and whine about slavery when the votes are finally counted
and the losers are  forced to get down on their knees. No. The slaves who
emerge victorious from these  drastic public decisions go crazy with joy and
plunge each other into deep tubs  of chilled Cristal champagne with naked
strangers who want to be close to a winner.

That  is how it works in the victory business. You see it every time. The
weak suck  up to the strong, for fear of losing their jobs and money and all
the fickle power  they wielded only 24 hours ago. It is like suddenly losing
your wife and your  home in a vagrant poker game, then having to go on the
road with whoremongers  and beg for your dinner in public. Nobody wants to
hire a loser. Right? They stink  of doom and defeat.

"What is that horrible smell in the office, Tex? It's  making me sick."

"That is the smell of a loser, senator. He came in to apply  for a job, but
we tossed him out immediately. Sgt Sloat took him down to the parking  lot
and taught him a lesson he will never forget."

"Good work, Tex. And  how are you coming with my new enemies list? I want
them all locked up. They are  scum."

"We will punish them brutally. They are terrorist sympathizers, and  most of
them voted against you. I hate those bastards."

"Thank you, Sloat.  You are a faithful servant. Come over here and kneel
down. I want to reward you."

That  is the nature of high-risk politics. Veni, vidi, vici, especially
among  Republicans. It's like the ancient Bedouin saying: "As the camel
falls to its  knees, more knives are drawn."

Presidential politics is a vicious business,  even for rich white men, and
anybody who gets into it should be prepared to grapple  with the meanest of
the mean. The White House has never been seized by timid warriors.  There
are no rules, and the roadside is littered with wreckage. That is why they
call it the passing lane. Just ask any candidate who ever ran against George
Bush  - Al Gore, Ann Richards, John McCain - all of them ambushed and
vanquished by  lies and dirty tricks. And all of them still whining about
it.

That is why  George W Bush is President of the United States, and Al Gore is
not. Bush simply  wanted it more, and he was willing to demolish anything
that got in his  way, including the US Supreme Court. It is not by accident
that the Bush White  House (read: Dick Cheney & Halliburton Inc) controls
all three branches of  our federal government today. They are powerful thugs
who would far rather die  than lose the election in November.

The Republican establishment is haunted  by painful memories of what
happened to Old Man Bush in 1992. He peaked too early,  and he had no
response to "It's the economy, stupid." Which has always been the  case.
Every GOP administration since 1952 has let the Military-Industrial Complex
loot the Treasury and plunge the nation into debt on the excuse of a wartime
economic  emergency. Richard Nixon comes quickly to mind, along with Ronald
Reagan and his  ridiculous "trickle-down" theory of US economic policy. If
the rich get richer,  the theory goes, before long their pots will overflow
and somehow "trickle down"  to the poor, who would rather eat scraps off the
Bush family plates than eat nothing  at all. Republicans have never approved
of democracy, and they never will. It  goes back to pre-industrial America,
when only white male property owners could  vote.

Things haven't changed much where George W Bush comes from. Houston  is a
cruel, crazy town on a filthy river in East Texas with no zoning laws and  a
culture of sex, money and violence. It's a shabby, sprawling metropolis
ruled  by brazen women, crooked cops and super-rich pansexual cowboys who
live by the  code of the West - which can mean just about anything you need
it to mean, in  a pinch.

Houston is also the unnatural home of two out of the last three  presidents
of the United States of America, for good or ill. The other one was  a
handsome, sex-crazed boy from next-door Arkansas, which has no laws against
any deviant practice not specifically forbidden in the New Testament,
including  anal incest and public cunnilingus with farm animals.

Back in 1948, during  his first race for the US Senate, Lyndon Johnson was
running about 10 points behind,  with only nine days to go. He was
desperate. And it was just before noon on a  Monday, they say, when he
called his equally depressed campaign manager and told  him to call a press
conference for just before lunch on a slow news day and accuse  his
high-riding opponent, a pig farmer, of having routine carnal knowledge of
his sows, despite the pleas of his wife and children.

His campaign manager  was shocked. "We can't say that, Lyndon," he
supposedly said. "You know that it  isn't true."

"Of course it's not!" Johnson barked. "But let's make the bastard  deny it!"

Johnson - a Democrat, like Bill Clinton - won that election by  fewer than
100 votes, and after that he was home free. He went on to rule Texas  and
the US Senate for 20 years and to be the most powerful vice president in the
  history of the United States. Until now.

Armageddon came early for George  Bush this year, and he was not ready for
it. His long-awaited showdowns with John  Kerry turned into a series of
embarrassments that broke his nerve and demoralized  his closest campaign
advisers. They knew he would never recover, no matter how  many votes they
could steal for him in Florida, where the presidential debates  were closely
watched and widely celebrated by millions of Kerry supporters who  suddenly
had reason to feel like winners.

Kerry came into October as a five-point  underdog with almost no chance of
winning three out of three rigged confrontations  with a treacherous little
freak like George Bush. But the debates are over now,  and the victor was
John Kerry every time. He steamrollered Bush and left him for  roadkill.

Did you see Bush on TV, trying to debate? Jesus, he talked like  a donkey
with no brains at all. The tide turned early, in Coral Gables, when Bush
went belly up less than halfway through his first bout with Kerry, who
hammered  poor George into jelly. It was pitiful... I almost felt sorry for
him, until I  heard someone call him "Mister President", and then I felt
ashamed.

Karl  Rove, the President's political wizard, felt even worse. There is
angst in the  heart of Texas today, and panic in the bowels of the White
House. Rove has a nasty  little problem, and its name is George Bush. The
president failed miserably from  the instant he got onstage with John Kerry.
He looked weak and dumb. Kerry beat  him like a gong in Coral Gables, then
again in St Louis and Tempe. That is Rove's  problem. His candidate is a
weak-minded frat boy who cracks under pressure in  front of 60 million
voters.

Bush signed his own death warrant in the opening  round, when he finally had
to speak without his teleprompter. It was a Cinderella  story brought up to
date in Florida that night - except this time, the false prince  turned back
into a frog.

Immediately after the first debate ended, I called  Muhammad Ali at his home
in Michigan, but whoever answered said the champ was  laughing so hard that
he couldn't come to the phone. "The debate really cracked  him up," he
chuckled. "The champ loves a good ass-whuppin'. He says Bush looked  so
scared to fight, he finally just quit and laid down."

This year's first  presidential debate was such a disaster for George Bush
that his handlers had  to be crazy to let him get in the ring with John
Kerry again. Yet Karl Rove let  it happen, and we can only wonder why. But
there is no doubt that the president  has lost his nerve, and his career in
the White House is finished. No mas.

Indeed.  The numbers are weird today, and so is this dangerous election. The
time has come  to rumble, to inject a bit of fun into politics. That's
exactly what the debates  did. John Kerry looked like a winner, and it
energized his troops. Voting for  Kerry is starting to look like serious fun
for everyone except poor George, who  now looks like a loser. That is fatal
in a presidential election.

I look  at elections with the cool and dispassionate gaze of a professional
gambler, especially  when I'm betting real money on the outcome. Contrary to
most conventional wisdom,  I see Kerry with five points as a recommended
risk. Kerry will win this election,  if it happens, by a bigger margin than
Bush finally gouged out of Florida in 2000.  That was about 46 per cent,
plus five points for owning the US Supreme Court -  which seemed to equal 51
per cent. Nobody really believed that, but George W Bush  moved into the
White House anyway.

It was the most brutal seizure of power  since Hitler burned the Reichstag
in 1933 and declared himself the new boss of  Germany. Karl Rove is no
stranger to Nazi strategy, if only because it worked  for a while, and it
was sure fun for Hitler. But not for long. He ran out of oil,  the whole
world hated him, and he liked to gobble pure crystal biphetamine and  stay
awake for eight days in a row with his maps and bombers and his dope-addled
general staff.

They all loved the whiff. It is the perfect drug for war,  as long as you
are winning, and Hitler thought he was king of the hill forever.  He had
created a new master race, and every one of them worshipped him. They were
fanatics. That was 66 years ago, and things are not much different today. We
still  love war.

George Bush certainly does. In four short years he has turned  our country
from a prosperous nation at peace into a desperately indebted nation  at
war. But so what? He is the President of the United States, and you're not.
Love it or leave it.

BULLETIN: KERRY WINS GONZO ENDORSEMENT; DR THOMPSON  JOINS DEMOCRAT IN
CALLING BUSH "THE SYPHILIS PRESIDENT".

"Four more years  of George Bush will be like four more years of syphilis,"
the famed author said  yesterday at a hastily called press conference near
his home in Woody Creek, Colorado.

"Only  a fool or a sucker would vote for a dangerous loser like Bush. He
hates everything  we stand for, and he knows we will vote against him in
November." Thompson, well  known for the eerie accuracy of his political
instincts, went on to denounce Ralph  Nader as "a worthless Judas goat with
no moral compass."

"I endorsed John  Kerry a long time ago," he said, "and I will do everything
in my power, short  of roaming the streets with a meat hammer, to help him
be the next president of  the United States."

Which is true. I said all those things, and I will say  them again. Of
course I will vote for John Kerry. I have known him for 30 years  as a good
man with a brave heart - which is more than even the President's friends
will tell you about George W Bush, who is also an old acquaintance from the
white-knuckle  days of yesteryear. He is hated all over the world, including
large parts of Texas,  and he is taking us all down with him. Bush is a
natural-born loser with a filthy-rich  daddy who pimped his son out to rich
oil-mongers. He hates music, football and  sex, and he is no fun at all.

I voted for Ralph Nader in 2000, but I won't  make that mistake again. The
joke is over for Nader. He was funny once, but now  he belongs to the dead.
Nader is a fool, as is anybody who votes for him in November  - with the
obvious exception of professional Republicans who have paid big money  to
turn him into a world-famous Judas goat. Nader is so desperate that he's
paying  homeless people to gather signatures to get him on the ballot. In
Pennsylvania,  the petitions he submitted contained tens of thousands of
phony signatures, including  Fred Flintstone, Mickey Mouse and John Kerry. A
judge dumped Ralph from the ballot  there, calling it "the most deceitful
and fraudulent exercise ever perpetrated  upon this court".

But they will keep his name on the ballot in the long-suffering  Hurricane
State, which is ruled by the President's younger brother, Jeb, who also
wants to be the next president of the United States. In 2000, when they sent
Jim  Baker to Florida, I knew it was all over. In that election, 97,488
people voted  for Nader in Florida, and Gore lost the state by 537 votes.
You don't have to  be from Texas to understand the moral of that story. It's
like being out-coached  in the Super Bowl. Only losers play fair, and all
winners have blood on their  hands.

Back in June, when John Kerry was beginning to feel like a winner,  we had a
quick rendezvous on a rain-soaked runway in Aspen, Colorado, where he  was
scheduled to meet a harem of wealthy campaign contributors. I told him that
Bush's vicious goons in the White House are perfectly capable of
assassinating  Nader and blaming it on him. His staff laughed, but the
Secret Service men didn't.  Kerry suggested I might make a good running
mate, and we reminisced about trying  to end the Vietnam War in 1972.

That was the year I first met him, at a  riot on that elegant little street
in front of the White House. He was yelling  into a bullhorn and I was
trying to throw a dead rat over a black-spike fence  and on to the
President's lawn. We were angry and righteous in those days, and  there were
millions of us. We kicked two chief executives out because they were  stupid
warmongers. We conquered Lyndon Johnson and we stomped on Richard Nixon  -
which wise people said was impossible, but so what? It was fun. We were
warriors  then, and our tribe was strong like a river. That river is still
running. All  we have to do is get out and vote, while it's still legal, and
we will wash those  crooked warmongers out of the White House.

© 2004 Independent  Newspapers, Ltd.

Garrett Clevenger

http://www.icehouse.net/garrett

"What are we doing to our Home?!:("