[Vision2020] Is Tom Trail an ethical campaigner?

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 27 22:05:39 PDT 2004

Tom Trail apparently thinks so highly of my opinion that he researched ten
months worth of postings to come up with one quote he could use to put on
the radio and in the Argonaut.

He took my words from a posting I made (
http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2004-January/006415.html) on
Jan. 5th, edited it, and is now reading it on the radio and printing it
without my authorization in order to give the impression that I support him
for his bit for re-election.

Needless to say this is unauthorized use of my image and person. I don't
know the legalities of this type of behavior, saying people support you when
in fact they don't. But this seems rather unethical to say the least.

I don't doubt the accuracy of the words. I did in fact say them. And I think
Trail said them even better than I did. I didn't even use spell check, and
wrote it without much thought. But my opinion of Trail has changed
significantly since January. Mostly because I have learned he is not a man
of honesty, and doesn't support the things he says he does.

I think his use of my image and former position as a supporter of his in his
bid for re-election, is an obvious testament to the fact that he does lack
credibility in his statements. It also makes me wonder if is Trail checking
to see if others have authorized the use of their names on his support
letters. It really kind of puts everything he says into a new perspective.

So what do you think? Is it ethical to take old statements of people,
spell-check them, trim them up a bit, and then portray that person as your
supporter for re-election? How would you feel if someone did this to you?
Should candidates be able to take anybody's names, put it on a list, and say
they support them. Why not just use the phonebook as your endorsement list?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

PS for the record, I don't think Trail has the integrity to represent the
students. And I am not the only student leader that thinks this way. In
fact, Trail had to quote Sean Wilson, ASUI President, eight administrations
ago to find another elected student supporter.