[Vision2020] Recent posting of letter from Mr. Rimel VSF

hayfields at moscow.com hayfields at moscow.com
Wed Oct 27 17:26:59 PDT 2004

All,

I wanted to keep silent, I really did.  Some even told me that in the current
climate of fear at the UI (and yes it does exist), I would be risking my job.
But I think that is perhaps a little too black.  What I wanted to do was
respond to Mr. Rimel's assertion that there is an anti-athletic climate on the
UI campus.  That is simply not true.  What there is, is an acknowledgement
that Athletics costs alot and may be returning little in the way of tangible
benefits to the ENTIRE campus.  While Mr. Rimel cites increases in funding, he
does not give a full accounting of costs to the Univerisity of Idaho.  I do
not dispute that Athletics has a place on this campus, I doubt any one would
seriously do that.  What I do ask is that we be sure what that  place is.  IS
it so wrong to have an exit strategy?   I would invite everyone and anyone
with an interest in the subject to visit the following website
http://www.ncaa.org/databases/knight_commission/2001_report/ Read the report
with an open mind, and think about the choices we, as the university community
have to make.  If the link is non-functional just do a search on the Knight
Commission.  You will find the report easily if you choose to look.

Heather
Jordan