[Vision2020] MCA Debates

Bill London london at moscow.com
Fri Oct 22 10:01:47 PDT 2004

Jeff Harkins:
    Please control that righteous indignation.  You are aiming it in the wrong direction.
    Let's go back to the original point in Lois Blackburn's editorial.
    The local Republican Party has no problem with a candidate forum organized by a Republican candidate (that's you) or a forum organized by a Republican office-holder (that's Paul Kimmell, Republican Commissioner and director of Chamber of Commerce) but believe participating in a forum organized by a local progressive community group (MCA) is signing a pact with the devil.
    To try and find a legitimate difference, you explain your role in the Moscow Lion's Club forum.  You say that your role was:
  (1) to select two dates for the forum,
  (2) compose an email inviting local candidates to the forum,
  (3) notified club members of the dates,
  (4) send a reminder to candidates of the forum.
    Well that makes sense.  Yes, that would be the responsibility of someone organizing a candidate forum.  And that is exactly what Bruce Livingston, the MCA representative, did.  Both you and Bruce set up the forum.  You both invited the same candidates.  You both publicized the event.  Neither you nor Bruce expected to serve as moderator (I do not know who will moderate the Lions Club forum, but the MCA moderator was selected from a list offered by Nathan Alford of neutral non-partisan community members.)
    So why would you wrap yourself in such at tizzy of false integrity and refuse to participate in the MCA debate?
    What are you Republicans so afraid of?  Why are you so willing to go to candidate forums all over the county and then refuse to go to this one-on-one candidate debate in Moscow?
     BL