[Vision2020] MCA Debates

John Dickinson johnd at moscow.com
Fri Oct 22 09:49:31 PDT 2004

Hi everyone,

I have been intrigued by the controversy surrounding the MCA sponsored
candidate forum. Jeff has certainly taken Lois' remark out of context.

I am certainly not an objective observer on the MCA. I have personally
benefited from the support, hard work, and friendship of many members of the
MCA. I don't think I would be a city council member without their
assistance. So I know many members of the MCA, in fact, I'm a member of MCA.
I think they are every bit as caring and unselfish as are the members of the
Lions Club.

If candidates are now going to start checking the yard signs displayed by
members of organizations organizing forums, who will there be left to
display a yard sign? If all MCA, Chamber of Commerce, Lions Club, etc.
members become like the League of Women Voters and refuse to display yard
signs, who's left? I am afraid that the discussion about the organizers is
really a red herring - the concern is the format of the forum. Head to head
questions. I have often said that the best format for a forum would be head
to head questioning where the questions were posed by the candidates
themselves, to each other. Our presidential debates would be better in this
format, so would our local forums.

If Jeff wants me to consider him for county commissioner, I'd like to hear
him answer questions and interact with his opponent - I don't much care
about his feeling about the MCA. I hope he will reconsider his decision.

John