[Vision2020] MCA Debates

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Thu Oct 21 23:37:50 PDT 2004

Many have inquired about the reasons that some candidates are not
participating in the MCA debate.  I have decided not to participate in the
Monday evening debate.  And I agree that you are entitled to have an
explanation of my decision.

For some time, I have been intrigued by the MCA.  It set a bold agenda for
itself and I was impressed by that.  But organizations are defined not only
by their missions, goals and objectives, but also by the deeds of their
members.

First, I had hoped that a reasonable compromise would be reached with MCA
that would address the concerns raised about the original format, but
unfortunately that has not occurred. And then today, Ms. Blackburn,
President of MCA in her published editorial (Daily News) made it very clear
as to the kind of shenanigans and pressures being applied to force
candidates to participate in an event that had questionable protocols which
could be unfair to the participating candidates.

Ms. Blackburn noted:
For an example of possible bias in the organization of a candidate forum,
Schroeder need look no farther than a representative of his own party, Jeff
Harkins, Republican candidate for Latah County commissioner. Harkins, as
the program chairman for the Moscow Lions Club, organized the club's
candidate forum this year.
It is true that I am a member of the Moscow Central Lions Club - and I am
proud of the work that we do.  It is also true that I am the Program Chair
for the fall, 2004.  But what Ms. Blackburn did not tell you is that before
I accepted the Program Chair responsibilities I advised Lion President Mark
Boehne that:
I would be willing to serve, provided that he would agree to serve as
moderator for the two (2) sessions I would schedule for the local
candidates.  He agreed to those terms.  So, yes indeed, I accepted the
program chair assignment for the Moscow Central Lions Club.
And the services I provided were:
(1) to select two dates for the forum,
(2) compose an email inviting local candidates to the forum,
(3) notified club members of the dates,
(4) send a reminder to candidates of the forum.
It is not clear to me why Ms. Blackburn would want to try to discredit the
good name of the Moscow Central Lions Club or my service to that
organization. But it is a clear example of why I am choosing not to
participate in the MCA forum.

It is important for all of you to note that my specific service to Lions
was clearly articulated to Mr. Bill London two weeks ago - and to Ms.
Blackburn on Monday, October 18th.

Here is what I want you folks to try to understand.  I am running for a
political office that I believe demands the highest levels of integrity and
principled behavior.  My interest in participating in forum events is to
make myself known to folks and to answer their questions.  Obviously I am
interested in having them cast votes for me.  And here is the tough part -
if what you see is a candidate that will knuckle under to this kind of
negative pressure in order to obtain votes, how can I possibly expect you
to believe that I would not knuckle under to that kind of pressure once I
am in office.

No, I find the statement by Ms. Blackburn to be, at best, insensitive and
inadvisable and, at worst, despicable and mean-spirited.  But it remains as
a clear example of why I am choosing not to participate in the MCA
event.  My participation would simply signal that their behavior here was
acceptable to me.  But folks, I won't sacrifice my integrity for votes - no
political office is worth that to me.

As to the concerns that some have expressed that by denying to participate,
we are precluding folks from finding out how I stand on the issues.  Well
to date, I have not failed to respond to any question directed to me.  If
you have a question about how I stand on an issue, write me, email me or
call me!

My greatest regret is that my fellow Lions have to bear this
incident.  They are the finest folks - caring and unselfish - and they
don't deserve to be tarred with this brush.  And I am very embarrassed that
this matter has brought them into this fray.

I trust this clarifies my decision.