[Vision2020] Gas UP .08 A Gallon

B.C. Strand Bill at strand.bz
Mon Oct 11 15:22:39 PDT 2004

Pat Krout wrote:

"Since all the economists that I read say that the president does not
have much to say about the price of crude oil or gas I'd like you to
explain why this is the presidents (whoever that might be) problem. Did
you also blaime Clinton when the price of things changed...or did you
blame NAFTA?"

Pat,

I would agree that that the President does not have a lot to say about
the price of crude oil. I would strongly disagree if you believe that
can not affect it - either positively or negatively. Attached is the an
excerpt from "This Week In Petroleum" as publised weekly by DOE (I would
recommend this as weekly reading for anyone who wants to keep informed
on the US petroleum situation). I believe that the President can affect
the some of the situations listed below.

Bill Strand

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/twip/twip.asp

"Given the current tight global oil market, any hiccup in oil supplies,
whether real or perceived, can have an exaggerated impact on oil prices.
These events can come in the form of natural disasters (e.g.,
hurricanes), infrastructure problems (e.g., refinery or pipeline
outages), or supply disruptions overseas, which sometimes result from
political situations. There are many political situations in the world
that have the potential to affect, or have already affected oil prices
at one time or another. A partial list of these would include: problems
associated with the alleged back taxes owed by Yukos, a major Russian
oil firm; turmoil in the Delta region in Nigeria; the instability
related to Iraqi infrastructure; continuing concerns over the lack of
oil sector investment in Venezuela from President Chavez’
administration; and concerns over the potential of escalating tensions
in Iran regarding their nuclear capability."