[Vision2020] Taxes and the Intoleristas

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Sat Oct 9 14:31:30 PDT 2004

Visionaries:
One of the funny things about honest citizens, and I include my Intolerista
colleagues in that group, is that we do expect people who receive government
services to help pay for the associated costs in so far as they are able.  I
wouldn't characterize this expectation as "salivating" but, rather, as an
awareness that there is no free lunch. To make our community a better place for all
residents we share a moral and legal obligation to pay taxes, including
property taxes.  I like knowing that by paying my fair share the police, fire, and
sheriff departments protect us and our property.  I am glad that the roads and
streets are plowed and maintained, that children in need are fed, and the poor
can see a health care provider (at least in a few medical clinics in Moscow).
I like knowing that when people who live in town turn on their kitchen
faucets clean water will come out.
I am familiar with "World Magazine" and actually spoke with Mark Bergin last
summer regarding the tax issue.  Mr. Bergin persisted in believing that there
is "a desire for among many residents to see his [Doug Wilson's] church
brought low"....an unsubstantiated sentiment apparently primed and stoked by Doug
himself.  It is, after all, much nicer for Doug to paint himself (and his
defenders) as Christian martyrs rather than Calvinistic deadbeats.  And while that
"courageous role" might play well to those folks who rely on Doug to describe
local issues, it is not accurate reporting.
Saundra and I have repeatedly, both in public and privately, maintained that
we are not arguing over Christ Church members understanding of dogma or
theological constructions.  We are interested and will remain interested and
committed to hold Doug Wilson, and the Elders (in so far as they have the capability
to act as individuals) accountable in observing applicable state and federal
laws.  The same laws that the rest of us, including Intoleristas, obey.
According to Dale's posting: "Rev. Wilson says he is battling for a
principle: "if you start paying tax, you acknowledge state sovereignty, " he said.
"You're saying they have authority over your church."  Well, no.  Actually, in my
opinion it means that you follow the directions Jesus gave:
"Teacher, we know that you are true, and teach the way of God truthfully, and
care for no man; for you do not regard the position of men.  Tell us, then,
what you think.  Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?"  But Jesus,
aware of their malice, said, "Why put me to the test, you hypocrites?  Show me the
money for the tax.  And they brought him a coin.  And Jesus said to them,
"Whose likeness and inscription is this?  They said, "Caesar's."  Then he said to
them. "Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God
the things that are God's."  Matthew 22: 16 -21.
I understand this text to mean, at least in part, don't try to hide personal
profit under the cloak of religious entitlement to avoid taxation, it brings
disgrace to the church and the justly earned title of hypocrite to the those
using the tactic.
It does make me wonder what other taxes Doug Wilson et al. might be avoiding.
It is to be hoped that wiser minds than my own are mulling over that very
issue.
Rose Huskey

"One cannot level one's moral lance at every evil in the universe. There are
just too many of them. But you can do something, and the difference between
doing something and doing nothing is everything." Daniel Berrigan