[Vision2020] Taxes and the Intoleristas

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 10 21:36:23 PDT 2004

Visionaries,

As usual, I think Rose did an excellent job of elucidating *why* we -- she & I
*and* the rest of us who are concerned about a fair and equitable local property
tax burden -- are interested in property taxes in Latah County.

Sadly, even though I think Rose did an excellent job, Dale Courtney
(http://right-mind.us/) seems . . . predisposed to miss the points, which are
fairness, equity, playing by the rules, and respecting the law, ***not*** using
religion or theology or dogma to get away with *not* playing by the rules.

(Now, I don't know Mr. Courtney well -- I've not met him in person -- but he
always seemed to be a bright guy to me.  I miss his participation in this forum
-- I learned from him.   While I took exception to his attacks of our local
public schools -- and lots of other stuff as well -- I thought he was great at
identifying areas where there was real room for improvement, and I think he did
a good job of presenting articulate arguments of other views.

I'm quite sorry he and others in Wilson World have chosen to blog/monologue
rather than actually *participate* in discussions.  Clearly, he and the clique
with which he affiliates still read V2020 as evidenced by the bandwidth used
blogging about V2020 discussions.

IMHO, that's kind of a strange approach to take for a group which professes to
want to be a *part* of our community.  Quite often, actions speak louder than
words, and this seems to me to be such a case.)

That said, Mr. Courtney blogged:
"Churches have not been taxed because of the admission that churches are an
institution that is not under the authority of the State."

SHAME ON Mr. Courtney . . . shame, shame, shame on him!  That is a patently
false statement, and I've no doubt Mr. Courtney knows it.  Why he'd stoop to
such dishonest tactics to try to make his case is beyond me . . . maybe it's
another example of the revisionist history he & his ilk are so fond of.  I mean,
I know he *wishes* that's why churches are tax exempt, but it's just not true .
. . not true at all.  Indeed, for a church to have tax exempt status, the church
*must* adhere to rules specified by government, and there are legal sanctions
for claiming tax exempt status and not following the rules.  Does that sound
like churches aren't under the authority of the State?

Mr. Courtney seems to spend a lot of bandwidth trying (unsuccessfully, I hope)
to convince his readers that Rose's & my (and other Intoleristas') interest in
fair and equitable property tax in Latah County is a sham . . . that what we
really want is "the entire removal of tax-exempt status for the church of
America."

For the record, nothing could be further from the truth, and I resent Mr.
Courtney's attempt to, once again, play the Religion Card.  Stick to the issues,
man . . . don't try to cloud a clear local issue with your own paranoia!

Rose & I challenged the property tax exemptions on three parcels:  one parcel is
owned by a church (Christ Church) and two are owned by a school (NSA), which is
a self-professed "self-governing sister institution" of Christ Church.  Now,
I'll keep my fingers in check <g> to prevent digressing into an analysis of what
that really means when 70+% of the Trustees and 100% of the Executive Council
are made up of Christ Church's pastor and hierarchy  ;-)

If we'd have had similar information, we would have taken the exact same actions
if the church had been the Church of Auntie Establishment or her brother
institution the Church of Golf, and if the school had been Intolerista Academy.
The exact same actions!

We've said before and I'll say it again:  we have no reason to believe that most
or all of the other non-profit organizations (including churches) in Latah
County aren't following the law, and we don't have any objection to property tax
exemptions in accordance with existing (secular or not) law.  We have no desire
to eliminate property tax exemptions for churches or any other legitimate group
that receives this government benefit in accordance with the rules.  And, that
would be the *legal* interpretation of the rules, not what *Mr. Courtney* thinks
they ought to mean or what he and his buddies would like them to mean.

Since Mr. Courtney has chosen not to participate here, I'm hoping one of you
will be able to answer a question for me:  what is "the church of America"???
Silly me, I thought there were *lots* of churches in America, and that the First
Amendment of our Constitution guarantees that there will *never* be *one*
official church.  And, since Mr. Courtney made reference to the First Amendment,
we know he's familiar with it, so what in the world is he talking about with
respect to "the church of America"?  Somehow, I seriously doubt he's concerned
about non-Christian religions, or even about mainstream Christian religions
since only *his* flavor of Christianity is "right."

Heck, just look at our local phone book -- we've got a great variety of churches
right here in our community.  Which one(s) is/are Mr. Courtney worried about
losing tax-exempt status???

I guess I'd suggest that he's concerned about his own church, and perhaps that's
because he knows a heck of a lot more about the inner workings of it than the
rest of us do.  Remember, it's Wilson World that wants to pass judgment and
force the teeth of a desired theonomic reconstructionistic law on the rest of us
-- Christians and non-Christians alike -- who don't share their particular
flavor of religion.

And it's that, I contend, is what's "truly dangerous to our local society."

I'm going to have to go back and change what I said at the beginning of this
post about missing Dale Courtney's participation here on V2020 . . . I hate it
when that happens  :-)  I've now gone back and read some of his archives, and
given the very lamentable level of vitriolic diatribe to which he's descended,
I'm glad to not have to read so much hatred & bitterness here.  If that's what
his flavor of Christianity has gotten him, I strongly suggest that he consider
switching churches to a loving Christian Church!  This area certainly has many
for him to choose from.

BTW, I'm also still wondering exactly *who* the Nasty Nine are -- do any of you
know?  I've tried to come up with my own list about to whom they are referring,
but I always come up short.  Any ideas???

PS  For those who don't know what an Intolerista is, please see the following
link:
http://www.tomandrodna.com/notonthepalouse/images/intolerista.pdf

Apparently One of the Nasty Nine and Proud Intolerista,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
-Edmund Burke