[Vision2020] The City This Week October 3-10, 2004

Linda Pall lpall at moscow.com
Sun Oct 3 15:23:43 PDT 2004

Dear Visionaries,

I had not resumed my occasional unofficial, personal comments to this list serve as a city council member because I was really despondent about V2020 and the general tone/obsession/whatever... But I have a more hopeful view right now. Why? I'm not sure. I just do. Hope is good. So, a few random comments about what's coming up and how you can get your oar in the water about city issues:

City Council Meetings:

Monday night, October 4, we have what has got to be the shortest regular Council agenda I have EVER seen! I really don't know why, because there's plenty flying around out there... but tune in immediately at 7 because the Proclamation for Human Rights Week, the consent agenda and the park-naming policy is all there is! Maybe we can say the Pledge of Allegiance veeerrrryy slowly and make the meeting a little longer...

Human Rights Week:

October 4-11 will be designated by the Mayor Monday night as Human Rights Week, part of a national effort in cooperation with other cities and the National League of Cities to raise awareness of Human Rights issues, the value of civility and tolerance, what citizens can do to keep Moscow the welcoming place it generally is, and how to bring concerns to the attention of the City.

WEDNESDAY from 5-7 PM in the Council Chambers, there will be an Open House to meet the new Human Rights Commissioners and talk about human rights issues. It will be informal and Chairman Toney Driver plans to have some nice light refreshments to make the whole thing a congenial event. This Commission is a great collection of talent: we are looking forward to their projects, including a sseries of social justice lectures and presentations beginning in December, inspired by the U.N. Declaration on Human Rights. The first lecture will focus on the right to health care and the challenge our society faces to meet health care needs.

If you would like to check out the UN Declaration of Human Rights, you can find it at www.unhchr/udhr/

Paradise Path Task Force

Bravo, Katrina Berman and Family, the Palouse Land Trust, the Paradise Path Task Force and the City of Moscow! Great grand opening at Berman Creekside Park, just north of Styner Avenue last Saturday! If you didn't make it Saturday, stop by soon because the flowers are stunning!

Drop by this newest piece of the Paradise Path. Mrs. Berman said it well at the opening when she said that she liked the park because it has brought so many parts of the community together. The Lions Club helped, Nils Peterson and friends built a fabulous post and beam picnic shelter, UI sculpture students have made wonderful scuptural additions to the park, a terrific set of interpretive materials enhances the experience and the handicap accessible sensory garden, the butterfly garden and the wetland garden options... well done, Paradise Park Task Force and City of Moscow staff who keep this gem in the beautiful condition we are enjoying!

Don't forget the October 20 planning session for the park out on North Polk!

Moscow Arts Commission: Excitement on the horizon!

Save the date. October 21 the Commission will be hosting the Mayor's Art Awards. Very important and promises to be a very enjoyable affair to honor Moscow's best and brightest in the arts community.

All the best for a great week for all the visionaries,

Linda Pall
Moscow City Council