[Vision2020] Conserve precious Oil

B.C. Strand Bill at strand.bz
Sun Oct 3 18:05:52 PDT 2004

Pat wrote:

"I am talking an entire change from oil...except for those products that
are made from oil that do not run cars,
trucks etc"

Pat,

The mass of product you are talking about is immense. Let's take a
simple example. There are about 70 million acres under cultivation for
wheat. My understanding is that canola will provide approximately 1
barrel of diesel/acre/year. If 100% of the wheat acreage was converted
to canola for diesel, it would provide about 4% of the diesel
requirement for the US about 4.5 million barrels/DAY). Now you add 10
million barrels/day of gas and 2 million gallons/day of propane... And
those numbers are at present consumption.

I'm a big proponent of the use of biomass for producing fuels and other
chemicals. But realistically, they will make a small dent in our growing
appetite for hydrocarbons.

Bill Strand