[Vision2020] 17,000 average!

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Thu Nov 11 18:07:44 PST 2004

As Shrek would say 'Hold the Phone!'

I never said we should go AI, I was just talking about people that attend.
Didn't mention that I was confident 17,000 would travel to every game.
Nope. But more people attend from out of town than it seems you identify.
And if a few people on this list know a few people that travel, doesn't it
translate into quite a few people in Moscow know quite a few people that
do travel. It's not like Tom and I have the only 6 people that travel to a
vandal game in our circle of friendship.

I think we _should_ hop back down to a more manageable league. However,
there are monetary gains to being in a 'bigger league' though we lose lots
of games to irrelevant teams. And I am not saying I 'get' that. I am not a
football economist by any means... I think sports, and esp football, is
just too big of an emphasis in college. But that is where
money/prestige/je ne sais whatever comes into play.

But I just don't seem to have that "skill" to see things in stark black
and white contrast as you seem to possess.

Debbie

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Donovan Arnold wrote:

> Debbie,
>
> Like I say. All of you that think that going AI will be such a bang for the
> buck, ought to invest in it yourself if you are so confident that 17,000
> paying fans will drive to every game. I for one don't think it will happen
> and don't think it is evidence that it will be successful because you know a
> family or two that comes up from Boise, or flies over from Honolulu. This
> sounds like someone saying, I asked ten people I know which candidate they
> liked best and 7 said candidate B so I extrapolated from this data that
> candidate B will win with 70% of the vote.
>
> There is a big difference between a bus full of people and 17,000. I also
> know dozens of Alumni that don't go to UI games, including some that even
> played football. Gambling a huge amount of resources into football when we
> don't have enough money for classrooms and teachers seems like an awfully
> bad idea and smells more like a Hoover program than one of future
> prosperity.
>
> Take Care,
>
> Donovan J Arnold

Debbie

  Debbie Gray      dgray at uidaho.edu
  We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
  so as to have the life that is waiting for us." --Joseph Campbell