[Vision2020] 17,000 average!

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Nov 11 18:26:38 PST 2004

I agree 100%, Debbie.

Playing division 1A football means playing division 1A opponents.  These
opponents draw larger crowds than the lesser divisions.

If you had been following the NCAA these past few years (with all of their
realignments and all) you would realize that division 1AA will more than
likely dissolve in the next few years.  When that happens, that leaves its
member with one choice:  Do they move up to 1A (which will simply be
division 1) or do they drop down to division 2?  If we were to drop down to
1AA, the likelihood that we would return to division 1 is extremely remote.
This puts us in the Kibbie Dome on Saturdays against opponents like Montana
Tech and North Dakota State trying to draw crowds (that simply will not show
up).  Also, ultimately ending up in division 2 would kill the old rivalry we
have with Boise State, which means we can kiss that money good-bye, too.

Right off the top of my head I know of three home games that I am looking
forward to next season; Utah State, Louisiana Tech, and Hawaii.  I am
certain that there are thousands of others looking forward to those games as
well.  And in 2006 when Boise State takes the field in the Dome (or more
likely Martin stadium), it is going to be packed (translation: $$).

Tom Hansen
UI '96

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are
dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all
exist very nicely in the same box.