[Vision2020] Thomas Jefferson

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Tue Nov 9 08:15:46 PST 2004

"A little patience, and we shall see the reign of witches pass over,
their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true sight,
restore their government to its true principles. It is true that in
the mean time we are suffering deeply in spirit, and incurring the
horrors of a war & long oppressions of enormous public debt . . . If
the game runs sometimes against us at home we must have patience till
luck turns, & then we shall have an opportunity of winning back the
principles we have lost, for this is a game where principles are the
stake."

The 1798 letter in which Jefferson penned this message of hope is found at:

http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/P/tj3/writings/brf/jefl122.htm

Thanks to LuAnn Scott for bringing Jefferson's letter to my attention.

Mark Solomon