[Vision2020] Lurking and blogging

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 4 13:43:29 PST 2004

Dear Visionaries,

Many of you have emailed me privately to let me know that the graphoholic, self-proclaimed Libertarian Reformed Christian (and thus oxymoronic) Dougsciple, Dale Courteney, not only continues to lurk on this list like Jethro Tull's Aqualung, but that he posts his responses to our public conversation with lightening speed to his safe, sheltered, obsessive-compulsive blog.  Thank you for letting me know, and for suggesting that I ought to check out said blog to see what Dale has to say about me, but I really must decline.  In a few weeks time, I'll be paying a brief visit to one of my favorite cities, Washington, D.C.  There, I am bound to hear countless equally valid assessments of my mental health and value to society from our nation's genuine Aqualungs, dirty old men sitting on park benches, reeking of urine and offering to pray for me if only I'll give them my spare change.  I feel sorry for these men, I do give them my change, and I listen to them for as long as I can.  This I consider a mitzvah, a blessing.

But reading Dale's blog is not a mitzvah: it's masochism.  There's something parasitic about lurking on Vision 2020, as Dale and Doug and others do, and then maniacally posting your clandestine responses to what is, in truth, the grown man's version of the 13 year-old girl's diary, the weblog.  I don't mind lurking; lurk away.  But lurking and then blogging is pathetic.  By such cowardice, Dale and company render themselves nothing more than mistletoe sucking on an oak tree.  Back where I come from, we knock that crap out of the branches with a long stick; then, come December, we sell it for a buck a sprig at the flea market.

This year, I'm giving my mistletoe profits to as many Aqualungs as I manage to meet on the benches and heating grates of the Washington Mall.  Next year, who knows -- I think it'll be a toss up between Planned Parenthood and Spokane's "Beans, and Rice, and Jesus Christ."

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

Auntie Establishment
Serving Idaho's liberal elite since 1993Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com