[Vision2020] New and improved headlines

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 11:03:26 PST 2004

Joan wrote:

I believe firmly that the agenda of the Bush administration is deeply
immoral.  What's more, it is the very antithesis of what it most strenuously claims
to be: Christian.

I couldn't agree more.

What amazes me, has always amazed me, since I was a teeny tiny person, is how
this moral directive is so conveniently tossed aside by those who profess to
be devout followers of the author:

Matt 5:43-44 "Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy
neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them
that curse you, do good to them that hate you"

I know the Bible can be interpreted in numerous ways that make it very easy
for anyone to find a passage to justify just about anything, but these words
are very clear.  I have always found them to justify a nearly pacifistic ethic
on the part of Christians, who currently in America seem inclined to want to
kill rather than show love for their enemies.

Again I ask, as I did recently on V2020, would Christ have carried out the
killing of 100,000 Iraqis in the name of Democracy, or the Lord?

For those answering "yes," we could discuss this view knowing we are engaging
in a dialog critical to the vote that just supported Bush, with the
Evangelical vote being perhaps Bush's most vehement and largest single voting block.

Ted Moffett