[Vision2020] Wayne, Ted, Eric, etc.

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco@moscow.com
Sun, 30 May 2004 11:17:43 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01C44637.BA143A90

Keely, Eric, Others not Bored/Impatient with/Offended by this Thread, et al,

Keely, thank you for your thoughtful post.  As you know you were among those
referenced by my earlier post saying that some religious beliefs, per se, make
positive contributions to that of their holders and to other's lives without
imposing gargantuan restrictions on the way other people can aspire, grow, and
seek to cope with life.  I know from our enjoyable personal interactions that
you are an empathetic, gracious egalitarian.  [Only the last of the final three
words of the last sentence applies to me.]

The issue between us is not so much based on behavioral proscriptions, but on
logic and epistemology.  This is  because many who hold similar beliefs to yours
are neither empathetic, gracious, nor egalitarian.

In the course of discussing beliefs in any matter, when any statement is made,
the hearer wants to know what that statement means in discoverable terms and how
the hearer can determine with some probability if the statement is true.

Upon critical examination the conceptions of the various gods in almost all of
the tens of thousands of different religions present a number of interesting
problems of meaning and knowledge .  Here are just three:

1.    Many concepts of god, including that of most, though not all Christian
sects/cults, claim that their alleged god is allegedly all-powerful and perfect.
Yet upon looking at the tenets of these individual faiths, it is clear that
numerous human weaknesses, failings, and frailties are used to describe these
alleged Christian gods.  For example, " I am a jealous God, therefore, have no
other before you..."  [Hundreds of other examples can be found in the various
writings called scripture -- though not all Christians recognize the same
writings as scripture.]

If some alleged god is powerful enough to have allegedly created the universe,
not only would jealousy be a totally unnecessary emotion but would seem petty, a
sign of great insecurity, and a lack of confidence in her/his/its
self-sufficiency.

The problem:  Discussions about the ambiguity of this alleged god's existence,
purpose, and proscriptions characterize not only this discussion but billions of
such other discussions, past, present and future.  It is an deniable fact that
among the people of the earth there are millions of different beliefs in the
properties and proscriptions of the alleged gods.

Given this ambiguity and lack of clearly ascribable probability, the beliefs
demanded by this alleged god in herself/himself/itself as a condition for an
allegedly eternal reward seems not only unrealistic, unreasonable, selfish,
egomaniacal, and uncomplimentary, but also hardly characterizes a being who
allegedly is perfect and all-powerful and thus would be above such petty, human,
confusing, ambiguous demands.

Demands by this alleged god for consideration for eternal reward by requiring
belief in the light of contradictions, lack of unequivocal evidence, extremely
barbaric behavior in hers/his/its name exhibited by some of this alleged god's
most committed adherents is not something one would expect of an allegedly
perfect, all-powerful being.  Ascribing these petty, irrational desires and
emotions to this allegedly perfect, all-powerful god seems grossly insulting.
It is not unlike saying that X is the perfect husband in one breath and saying
that X regularly beats his wife in the next.

Keely says that we were allegedly created for a relationship with this alleged
god.

If this alleged god is perfect and all-powerful, why does she/he/it need a
relationship with anything?

Is there something missing in this alleged god's existence?  Is it loneliness,
lack of adoration and/or acknowledgement that drives this god's need to create
pathetic beings with a necessary subsidiary psychological dependency
relationship with she/he/it?

If so, then such a god is neither perfect nor all-powerful but exhibits great
weakness by craving attention so badly that the cost of receiving this attention
is this veil of tears called life filled with outrageous suffering for many.

2.    For purposes of this discussion [2], let's assume [1] that the alleged
Christian god exists, [2] that she/he/it became unhappy at the behaviors and
lack of respect toward herself/himself/itself and toward other humans shown by
her/his/its human creations, and [3] thus sought to change this state of affairs
by disguising herself/himself/itself as a fellow human with the name of Jesus.
[Let's assume also that the last clause [3] is comprehensible.]

Is this something that an allegedly perfect, all-powerful god would do?

Obviously, this ploy has been quite unsuccessful.  A reading of the headlines
over the past few weeks gives clear evidence that human nature and behavior is
little changed since before the advent of Jesus.

It seems to me that if a smart, knowledgeable, determined, all-powerful god
wanted to be effective in engendering behavioral/attitudinal change, a much
better method could have been devised.  Here are two possibilities:

A.    Instead of Jesus being a human, he might have been delivered as a talking
zebra.  If a zebra were to talk, people would be much more inclined to believe
that this was truly a miracle and consequently would pay much more attention to
what was being said and would be much more likely to heed the proscriptions
given.  Making Jesus a human hardly distinguishes him from tens of thousands of
other religious fanatics.  But a talking theological zebra, imagine the impact!

B.    Those even mildly familiar with attempting to shape in a positive manner
people's behavior know that two elements must be present in order to make
behavioral change probable:  clarity of description of the desired behaviors and
repetition.

Hence, a perfect, all-powerful, kindly, concerned god could market his message
much more effectively.

Each day at a given time, this god could talk to each person for a few moments
in their own language, giving exactly the same message to all.  This could be
done in such a way that hers/his/its messages were verifiable (e,g., the
presence of corresponding sound and/or electro-magnetic waves which would be
recordable).

If this were to happen, questions of belief in and the need for adhering to this
god's proscriptions would be unambiguously settled.  This would greatly aid all
toward earning their eternal reward.  This method would be certainly superior to
whatever is going on at present.  Gaining eternal reward would no longer be a
difficult, perplexing guessing game with the odds stacked mightily against the
players.

A serious, logically insurmountable problem with the assertion that god
intervened on earth disguised as Jesus is the unfortunate inconsistency this
assertion gives rise to:

If god had to intervene to change the way humans were behaving, then she/he/it
must have bumbled somewhere in the design/creation process.

If things had to be attempted to be changed by god's disgruntled intervention,
then obviously grave mistakes were made in the initial planning/design/creation
process.  This is not something that one would expect of a being defined as
perfect, all-powerful, a being who would have known what was going to happen in
the first place with any proposed design.

If this god knew that some of us were going to be irredeemable pricks, but
proceeded with his plan anyway, it looks like god was going
"nah,nah,nah,nah,nah," too bad for you screw-ups -- no cake and ice cream for
you (even if it was not your fault, but the fault of my design).  Humankind
being forced to be an unwilling participants in a cosmic guessing game in order
to win the grand prize is hardly an intelligent design for achieving success.
Ascribing such an ignorant and inconsiderate design to a perfect, all-powerful
god seems to be either a colossal insult or a thinly disguised expression of
egomaniacal ignorance/arrogance of themselves by the ascribers.

If god did not know what was going to happen in the beginning, the she/he/it is
neither perfect nor all-powerful.  If she/he/it did know, then what a sadistic
monster!  This would mean for most of us, all our suffering/deprivation is/was
for naught -- a compelling argument against god's alleged perfect goodness.

3.    The positing by believers of an allegedly all-powerful (or even powerful
god) poses a problem of knowledge impossible to solve.

If an alleged god is allegedly all-powerful, then this god, among other powers,
has the power of to deceive completely.

This god, if all-powerful (or even very powerful), could easily deceive
humankind about anything.  She/he/it could deceive humankind into believing that
she/he/it is good/kind/loving, etc. when such was really not the case.
She/he/it could even deceive humankind into believing contradictory and/or
preposterous things.

Given this alleged god's power to deceive, it then becomes impossible to have
any certain or even probable knowledge about her/his/its
nature/motives/intentions/feelings/outlook.  If this alleged god's deception is
possible, then since she/he/it is much more powerful than humankind, it is
impossible for humankind to tell if they are being deceived or not.  There is no
way for humankind to evaluate whether they are being deceived or not.  Hence,
there is no way for humankind to evaluate/validate their alleged knowledge of
this allegedly all-powerful god and his alleged proscriptions and intentions.

The naive might immediately respond: "Not only is god all-powerful, but
she/he/it is perfectly good also!"

Such a response shows a failure to understand the immediately preceding
paragraphs.  How do you know that this alleged god is perfectly good?  Among the
things an all-powerful god, who allegedly created the universe, could do would
be to trick you into believing (in spite of much other cogent evidence -- wars,
sickness, cruelty, etc.) that she/he/it is perfectly good.  Since god is
all-powerful, and hence much more clever than her/his/its humankind groupies,
such a deception would be undetectable.

A very cheering dilemma.  Most who have read this far will have a headache, if
not from the poor, abstruse prose, then for the impact of same.

I doubt that either Keely, Eric, or many others will be influenced by any of the
above.  Most humans have compelling ego, emotional, financial, political, and
economic needs and investments that prevent them from seriously considering
ideas that constitute a viable threat to their worldviews and the sanctity of
their inner being dependent upon those worldviews .

I have met Keely on several occasions.  I have enjoyed discussing religion and
other topics with her.  She is a most likeable, concerned, and generous person.
She may not like the following, but for what its worth here is my part of my
opinion about her:

If Keely were by some means persuaded that her religious beliefs were in error,
it would hardly change her general behavior or attitude toward her fellow humans
at all.  She would still be a kind, concerned, charitable, open, empathetic,
gracious, egalitarian person -- and that for me is what counts.

Wayne

Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
deco@moscow.com