[Vision2020] Wayne, Ted, Eric, etc.

keely emerinemix kjajmix1@msn.com
Sat, 29 May 2004 19:07:55 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C445B0.40521BA0

As Joan's favorite erudite evangelical -- and what a compliment that is, =
coming as it does from the Aphrodite of Erudite -- perhaps I can jump in =
here.

Wayne, I've appreciated the respect you've shown me in our previous =
discussions, and I know it will come to no surprise to you that I =
disagree that God commands our worship because he's in any way puerile =
or needy.  I believe, as a disciple of Jesus Christ, that God designed =
us for relationship -- relationship with himself as well as with others. =
 Every satisfying relationship I enjoy on earth is a picture of the =
relationship with the Divine that I was created to have and that I =
desperately sought, and that God graciously provides me in Christ.

Ted, I've admired many of your postings and regret that Eric's responses =
have annoyed you so.  And I admit to more than a little consternation =
that much of your irritation with Eric stems from his continued =
association with and defense of Doug Wilson and his conduct and =
doctrine.  It's hard for me to read Eric's elucidation of the Christian =
faith without wondering why he would continue to embrace the ministry of =
a man whose conduct and beliefs are, at best, antithetical to the =
gospel.  I am, however, grateful that Eric equates the Christian life =
with something other than art, music, poetry, stout beer and good cigars =
(not to mention class privilege, sexism, and serrated wit).  But I =
wonder how his apparent soft heart for humankind finds its nurture in =
the nest of a man who gleefully maligns and insults those around him, =
both inside and outside the fold of Christianity, and who has done more =
than anyone on the Palouse to turn people against the faith. =20

Eric, have you given thought to the possibility that your continued =
embrace of Doug Wilson has had a deleterious effect on your witness for =
the Gospel?  Sometimes you need to be known as much for who you rebuke =
as for who you embrace.  It's impossible for those who share your faith =
to not gag over what has come from the Kirk of late.  To imagine that =
those who don't share your beliefs will somehow swallow hard and drink =
in what you have to say is more than a little unlikely.   The cup you're =
offering tastes burnt and bitter.  Pour out the nasty stuff, wash out =
the cup, and refill it with something better.  You'll be as good a man =
for the pouring out as for the refilling...

keely emerine mix =20

=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20