[Vision2020] Water, Water, Everywhere

Brent Capener cape@moscow.com
Thu, 27 May 2004 21:05:24 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C4442E.54374830

I wouldn't actually call it "washing" the streets. I've observed this =
phenomenon going on for the past week or so (in between rainstorms) and =
noticed that they only spray enough water to WET the street, with little =
or no runoff making it to the curb.  Could it be they are cognizant of =
both water conservation and the problems involved with washing street =
grime into the storm drain system?  So the real question is what benefit =
do we get by WETTING the streets?

On a related topic: today I noticed the UI Incubator lawn at 121 Sweet =
Avenue being watered during a downpour.  Yesterday the Best Western was =
watering during a heavy rain.  Both after 6 PM therefore responsibly =
following our new ordinance.  But I get fined if my hose has a small =
drip?  What if it's during legal watering hours and I place the drippy =
section over a dry spot?  Am I still bad?

BC
------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C4442E.54374830

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I wouldn't actually call it "washing" =
the=20
streets.&nbsp;I've observed this&nbsp;phenomenon going on for the past =
week or=20
so (in between rainstorms) and noticed that they only spray enough water =
to WET=20
the street, with little or no runoff making it to the curb.&nbsp; Could =
it be=20
they are cognizant of both water conservation and the problems involved =
with=20
washing street grime into the storm drain system?&nbsp; So the real =
question is=20
what benefit do we get by WETTING the streets?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On a related topic: today I noticed the =
UI=20
Incubator lawn at 121 Sweet Avenue being watered during a =
downpour.&nbsp;=20
Yesterday the Best Western</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>was =
watering=20
during a heavy rain.&nbsp; Both after 6 PM therefore responsibly =
following our=20
new ordinance.&nbsp; But I&nbsp;get fined&nbsp;if my hose has a small=20
drip?&nbsp; What if it's during legal watering hours and I place the =
drippy=20
section over a dry spot?&nbsp; Am I still bad?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>BC</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C4442E.54374830--