[Vision2020] answer to Melynda, neglected paragraph.

Eric Engerbretson eric@eric-e.com
Thu, 27 May 2004 13:51:12 -0700

--Apple-Mail-25-9690307

>>> And so, according to these folks, if DW tries to tell people what he
>>> thinks is right and wrong, he is a religious freak supposedly trying
>>> to take over the Palouse.  But if Nick or Joan tries to tell people
>>> what is right and wrong they are simply normal, non-biased people
>>> trying to create a more tolerant and benevolent society for us all.
>>> Nick & Joan, et al, need to realize that they are religious, and
>>> that they, too, are trying to make the world see things the way they
>>> do.
>>
>> I think we've got some semantic confusion here (deja vu!).  Everyone
>> has a worldview.  Me, Eric, Joan, Ted, Nick, Debbie, Tami--you name
>> her, she's got a world view. But not every world view is a religion.
>> So I can share a religion (Christianity) with Doug and Eric, although
>> not a world view.  Likewise Ted can reject religion, while holding
>> passionately a non-religious value system which privileges care for
>> one another.

One more time... a "non-religious value system" is a myth.  It's an
oxymoron. Ted likes to think he's non-religious, but he worships
"passionately" at the altar of his value system.  Anyone that has a
value system has a religion. Anybody who thinks they don't have a value
system-- that's another religion.  If it makes you feel better about
yourself, call yourself non-religious-- but the only people you're
fooling are the other non-religious people repeating their mantras, and
following their priests.

>> It is possible to construct a civil society in which many religions
>> and non-religious world views are valued and their expression
>> protected.

Absolutely. It's called America. I like it. I value the people with
other religions, because God does, and I would fight and die to protect
their right to express their religions. But I would never be so silly
as to then assume that their directly conflicting dogmas are somehow
all correct.

Best regards,

Eric E.

The Nuart Theatre
208-882-0459 (lobby, no message)
208-883-0997 (CCM, leave message)
516 S Main, Moscow ID 83843
eric@eric-e.com
http://www.ccmbooks.org

--Apple-Mail-25-9690307

<excerpt><excerpt>

<excerpt>And so, according to these folks, if DW tries to tell people
what he thinks is right and wrong, he is a religious freak supposedly
trying to take over the Palouse.  But if Nick or Joan tries to tell
people what is right and wrong they are simply normal, non-biased
people trying to create a more tolerant and benevolent society for us
all.  Nick & Joan, et al, need to realize that they are religious, and
that they, too, are trying to make the world see things the way they
do.

</excerpt>

I think we've got some semantic confusion here (deja vu!).  Everyone
has a worldview.  Me, Eric, Joan, Ted, Nick, Debbie, Tami--you name
her, she's got a world view. But not every world view is a religion.
So I can share a religion (Christianity) with Doug and Eric, although
not a world view.  Likewise Ted can reject religion, while holding
passionately a non-religious value system which privileges care for
one another.

</excerpt></excerpt>

One more time... a "non-religious value system" is a myth.  It's an
oxymoron. Ted likes to <italic>think</italic> he's non-religious, but
he worships "passionately" at the altar of his value system.  Anyone
that has a value system has a religion. Anybody who thinks they don't
have a value system-- that's another religion.  If it makes you feel
better about yourself, call yourself non-religious-- but the only
people you're fooling are the other non-religious people repeating
their mantras, and following their priests.

<excerpt>

<excerpt>It is possible to construct a civil society in which many
religions and non-religious world views are valued and their
expression protected.

</excerpt></excerpt>

Absolutely. It's called America. I like it. I value the people with
other religions, because God does, and I would fight and die to
protect their right to express their religions. But I would never be
so silly as to then assume that their directly conflicting dogmas are
somehow all correct.

Best regards,

Eric E.

<smaller><smaller><x-tad-smaller>208-882-0459 (lobby, no message)