Ted's Re: [Vision2020] Wilson is not a great mind, and neither am I

Eric Engerbretson eric@eric-e.com
Thu, 27 May 2004 14:04:30 -0700

--Apple-Mail-30-10487951

Ted, thanks for the thoughts.  Yes, it would be much clearer, and=20
accurate, if instead of referring to yourself as non-religious
you would refer to yourself as non-organizedly-religious.

Eric E.

On May 27, 2004, at 1:39 PM, Tbertruss@aol.com wrote:

>  Melynda:
>
>  Your post on religions, worldviews, and the complexities involved=20
> raises many excellent points for parsing this discussion.
>
>  Eric would insist that all values arise from some sort of "religious"=20=

> orientation.=A0 To follow this line of thinking we would need to =
define=20
> what we mean by "religion," a daunting task perhaps.=A0
>
>  Some make the distinction I have heard often between "spirituality"=20=

> and "religion."=A0 Many people I have talked to claim to be spiritual=20=

> but not religious.=A0 And what does this exactly mean?=A0 I won't dive =
too=20
> deep into these waters now, except to say that some view religion as=20=

> an organized social/political power structure, created by human=20
> beings, built around a metaphysical and/or transcendent supernatural=20=

> oriented ideology, while spirituality is less defined by organized=20
> social/political institutions, is more of a unique personal=20
> experience, perhaps undefinable by an individual but profound and deep=20=

> nonetheless.=A0 This attempt at defining these terms is no doubt=20
> seriously lacking!
>
>  Melynda is right that I tend to reject "religion" as defined above.=A0=20=

> But I consider myself a deeply "spiritual" person, indeed more=20
> (humble, ain't I?) so than many of the true believers in organized=20
> religion who I have met.=A0 This aspect of my life prompts sympathy =
for=20
> many believers in organized religion, though I cannot accept what I=20
> consider many of the irrational aspects of said organized religions,=20=

> nor the corruption and deception involved in the social/political=20
> power structures involved.
>
>  I am aware how lacking what I just wrote is as an attempt to explore=20=

> these issues, but hey...it's only V2020.
>
>  Ted Moffett

The Nuart Theatre
208-882-0459 (lobby, no message)
208-883-0997 (CCM, leave message)